Talk

Advanced search

Cerazette and breastfeeding

(16 Posts)
lurcherlover Tue 28-Dec-10 12:33:32

Hi ladies. I had my 8 week check following the birth of DS last week and my GP has prescribed me Cerazette (not that I'm in need of contraception just yet, but I guess I have to get back in the saddle eventually, so to speak!) He reassured me it's fine to take while breastfeeding but I haven't started it yet as I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea - the leaflet does say tiny amounts of the hormone get into the milk. I think I'm more worried because I have a DS and I'm thinking exposing a boy to female hormones isn't good for him...? Am I being paranoid here or not? I hope not as I really don't like condoms and would much rather take the mini pill, but I don't want to risk DS' health in any way. Thoughts/opinions?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Dec-10 13:45:52

Lurcher, congratulations on your DS. Sorry, but don't know the answer but have you tried ringing one of the Bfing Helplines, they should be able to answer your query.

You might also want to have a read of this on Kellymom

Also, have you thought of using Bfing as a contraception? There is more information here

lurcherlover Tue 28-Dec-10 13:54:03

Hi Jilted - thanks for your post, I will have a read of Kellymom.

Not sure about the bf as contraceptive - I haven't had a period yet so am probably not ovulating, but I really don't want to risk being pregnant again so soon and as I understand it bf isn't always wholly reliable, especially once babies sleep more at night as DS now does?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Dec-10 13:57:25

Think it wholly depends on you and the baby. My periods didn't return for over 12 months with both of my DC. The info on Kellymom looks quite good though. Just wish I'd know about Kellymom when I started bfing....

Seona1973 Tue 28-Dec-10 16:37:25

you'll also be lucky to get hold of cerazette as there is a shortage of it at the moment!

mousesma Tue 28-Dec-10 17:45:13

Do not use BF as contraceptive it is not reliable. Its true that if you are exclusively BF you're periods are unlikely to return and you won't get pregnant but this not guaranteed.

I used Cerazette without any problems but have now switched to an implant which is the same drug but it works for 3 years and you don't have to remember to take tablets.

Have you been advised re: the long term contraceptive options available to you? If you don't like ingesting hormones then you could get a copper IUD fitted.

lurcherlover Wed 29-Dec-10 15:03:26

mousema, I have no problem with ingesting hormones (was on Microgynon for years before getting pregnant with no problems) - my only concern is if there is any possible health risk to my DS. If there isn't I'm very happy to take them. I don't fancy a coil, have heard too many horror stories from people about the insertion!

Seona - I didn't realise there was a shortage! I have 6 months' supply sitting here - perhaps if I decide not to take it I should ebay it smile

APixieInMyMulledWine Wed 29-Dec-10 15:16:42

I used it whilst bf ds1 and it was fine.

I did get pregnant on it though (when I had stopped bf) when toddler was 9 months old. I now have beautiful 15week old.

mousesma Wed 29-Dec-10 19:37:40

Fair enough lurcherlover but I don't like ingesting hormones myself so it wasn't a criticism. Unfortunately the GP couldn't fit an IUD so I'm stuck with the pill, implant or condoms and the implant is the most reliable.

I know a lot of people are wary of HCPs when it comes to breastfeeding but they normally tend to err on the side of caution when prescribing medication to BF mums. I think it is unlikely the hormones will do any harm but I'm not sure where you would find studies to corroborate this.

You should definitely flog the pills on ebay if you don't want them we've got a shortage here too

RobynLou Wed 29-Dec-10 19:40:02

Don't rely on bfing as a contraceptive!

I know someone who got pg when their baby was 3 months, not sleeping through and exclusively bf...they only had sex once too!!!!!

MrsTeddy Wed 29-Dec-10 20:16:26

Definitely don't rely on bf as contraceptive, my mum got pregnant with my brother when I was 4 months old because my dad (who was a doctor!) told her she wouldn't get pregnant whilst breastfeeding! Even if your periods haven't returned you will ovulate before you have a period so you can still get pregnant.

AKMD Wed 29-Dec-10 20:37:53

I'm breast-feeding and would be taking Cerazette if I could get hold of any! Nowhere has them and the pharmacist at Superdrug told me they'd been recalled by the manufacturer due to a production fault :s

DS is ten months old and I haven't had a period yet but it is back to feeling embarrassed buying Durex with the weekly shop!

Casmama Wed 29-Dec-10 20:45:40

I took cerazette whilst bf my ds and it didn't cause any problems at all. As an aside I just got six months supply from the family planning clinic last week, normally get a years supply though and she did mention supplies were low.

weasle Wed 29-Dec-10 21:04:34

I took cerazete with my ds2. my only problem was it eliminated my libido, so kind of didn't need it IYSWIM! (AKMD - you buy them every week?!grin
Also it made me a bit anxious i think. changed to another minipill then stopped and had ds3. now have mirena coil.

minipills supposed to be safe for bf, although have heard some subjective reports of reduced supply. (of bf, not supply of the drug!)

AKMD Thu 30-Dec-10 16:45:08

Hahaha no, just for Christmas wink

SparklyJules Thu 30-Dec-10 16:48:44

I took Cerazette whilst BF my DS - for 2.5 years! No side effects at all during that time and no effects on DS.

I agree with weasle that I have absolutely no libido whatsoever whilst taking them - but maybe that's why they're so effective, hey? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now