Talk

Advanced search

Please help me not give up breastfeeding - screaming through all day feeds!!

(14 Posts)
MissRedIndie Fri 24-Dec-10 07:52:20

DD1 is exclusively breast fed and 12 weeks old. For the last week and a half her day feeds having been getting progressively harder. She screams whenever I try to feed her, and arches her back and pulls off me. She does this before she's even taken any milk, so its not wind. At first I took this as a sign that she wasn't hungry yet, so stopped feeding her as frequently (usually every 2-3 hours, was dropping to every 4-5 hours), but then she still screamed even when the gap between feeds was long. When I persisted through the screaming and basically forced her to stay on me, she fed frantically as though she was actually really hungry. Now if I persist through the screaming, she will always take a proper feed, but pulls off frequently to scream, and I almost have to clamp her head in place to get her to feed. Last night I was reduced to standing up jigging her whilst feeding, whilst she had her body arched out at a 90 degree angle from mine. I'm talking screaming, not crying, by the way.

Night time feeds are fine, easy and completely normal. Someone has suggested she may be teething, and she does have occasional flushed cheeks, but I'm not convinced this is the case. She wont take a bottle or I think I would have gone that road by now. I really really want to avoid abandoning breast feeding (plus it will be a struggle to abandon it anyway as she refuses bottles!), but I just don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. I'm dreading feeding her at the moment Does anyone have any suggestions??

WoTmania Fri 24-Dec-10 09:25:58

Could it be a nursing strike do you think?
Can't post much as children beginning to riot. But that might help.

ginger2000 Fri 24-Dec-10 09:39:32

can't offer any advice but just to day that we have this sometimes too (dd2 is 12 weeks old as well!) Sometimes i think it is because she is too tired to feed and will do better after a sleep. sometimes it appears to be wind! someone else suggested it might be a growth spurt!
I also have done the standing up thing too!

organiccarrotcake Fri 24-Dec-10 10:45:50

You poor thing
If it's a nursing strike it can be really scary but it generally passes quickly. Why do you think stopping BFing would help?

Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon. Hang in there.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Dec-10 10:48:21

Poor you. Have you spoken to a bfing counsellor?

zacklesMum Fri 24-Dec-10 11:42:15

Does the screaming start when the let-down occurs, roughly a minute or so after she starts feeding? I had this when DS was younger, with perfect feeding at night or straight after naps. During the day I'd often have to jiggle him around at feeds to get the screaming to stop. Mine was an oversupply problem, and it was very stressful.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Dec-10 12:04:59

MissRed just thought of something else, have you tried the rugby hold? A different position might trick her into feeding.

Also, have you tried Dentinox? She may have a sore tum.

TheTimesMNer Fri 24-Dec-10 12:06:25

Reflux....

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Dec-10 12:11:07

Well, if TheTimesMNer thinks its Reflux, have a read of this on Kellymom

I'd still give a Bfing Counsellor a call though if I were you.

MissRedIndie Sat 25-Dec-10 09:04:44

Hi all thanks for your advice. I hadn't considered a nursing strike, but I don't think this is what it is as it's been going on for too long as is a bit too intermittent to be a proper strike - though the advice for getting over a strike is still quite relevant. JJJ, I tried different holds but unfortunately she's not to be fooled!

I spoke to a breastfeeding counsellor yesterday who suggested that at this age they have so much going on in their brains that they find feeding boring and are distracted by other things. She suggested either making feeds similar to night feeds (as she feeds normally during the night) or making every feed in the day different and exciting - feeding whilst dancing around the room, or wandering round the house holding dd with my top off and letting her eat if the mood takes her - interesting suggestions but not very practical long term (though I think the people in the pub yesterday lunchtime would have been very entertained by either of these options!!). I'm still clinging to the hope that this is just a phase and will get back to normal at some point....

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Sat 25-Dec-10 09:42:09

All of mine have had some degree of reflux, and went through phases of fighting daytime feeds. I don't know why they didn't fight night-time feeds.

With dd (who suffered most with reflux) the best strategies I found were to give her a dummy inmy arms for minute or two before she started feeding, then whip it out and offer my boob.

The other thing that helped was to feed lying down in bed and just let her flail. She used to end up arched as far away from me as possible, the only point of contact between us being her mouth and my breast. Then she would feed calmly.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sat 25-Dec-10 11:53:37

Mine is 13 weeks and doing similar, though crying rather than screaming. Wonder if it is a developmental thing.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Sat 25-Dec-10 12:03:05

Have you tried feeding while holding her vertically? Still tummy-to-mummy, but in line with your body rather than across your body. That was another feeding position dd liked, especially if I was fairly upright, too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Dec-10 08:55:38

It does sound like a phase PrettyCandles. Is there a Bfing Support Group you could go too?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: