Talk

Advanced search

classic sleep regression/growth spurt or not?

(4 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Thu 23-Dec-10 17:34:44

ds is 21 weeks old today. a few weeks ago he was sleeping through 7 til 7 some nights and doing one feed between midnight and 4am most nights.

he is now feeding every 3 hours max 24 hours a day!!! draining both breasts (and I have strong let down and produce a lot of milk, leak into breastpads all the time).

wtf??? when will this end? when am I allowed to wean...is it 6 calender months or 24 weeks or what?

can't take this much longer, am exhausted and grumpy!

oh he cut TWO teeth in two days last week too.

grrurhhhhh.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Dec-10 20:52:45

sophable sorry am a bit confused, is he feeding every 3 hours? How long is he feeding for at each feed?

Could it be that his teeth have been hurting and he just wanted to suck for comfort. I know both of mine fed more when teething.

As for the weaning, it is 6 months but my DD did it herself at 23 weeks. She took a sandwich and ate it very well, but then she did fulfill all the criteria, well apart from it being 3 weeks early.

Have a look at Kellymom on when to introduce solids.

If it is teething or a growth spurt you are doing the right thing by feeding more anyway and it will soon get better smile

AngelsfromtherealmsofgloryDog Thu 23-Dec-10 23:15:06

Yes, that does definitely sound like a growth spurt. I think one around 6 months is quite common.

The WHO say around 6 months ie 26 weeks to introduce solids. The NHS say start earlier with finger food if your LO is sitting unsupported and able to pick up & taste finger food (recommendations are in this document.

It'll be quite a while after weaning before your LO takes enough to drop their milk requirements. We started solids at 6 months, with 2/3 meals a day and I didn't notice a reduction in the amount of milk DS took till 2 months later. I'd keep feeding and it'll soon improve as JJJ says. smile

Zimm Tue 28-Dec-10 12:42:37

Sympathies - 20 week EBF was also sleeping through and is now up every 3 hours. I want to cry. When will it end??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now