Talk

Advanced search

Dip in supply, advice and experience please

(9 Posts)
littlehedgehog Thu 23-Dec-10 16:48:28

DD is 6,5months having a little solids but mainly breastfed. My supply have dipped due to ovulation and I have started on some calcium/magnesium supplements as advised by kellymom. Anything else I can do? DD poorly so not that keen on sucking extra, gets v frustrated easily anyway. My nipples hurt slightly which doesn't help matters. Was wondering how quickly I might see and effect from taking supplements?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Dec-10 16:50:23

Not sure what to suggest sorry, take it you've read Kellymom on increasing supply anyway.

Have you tried expressing?

Hope DD is feeling better soon, once she's feeding properly again your supply should soon increase again anyway smile

littlehedgehog Thu 23-Dec-10 19:42:39

Thanks JiltedJohnsJulie.

Has anyone else tried calcium/magnesium or know how long it might be until I see some improvement (or not)?

Lastyearsmodel Thu 23-Dec-10 19:43:35

What makes you think your supply has dropped?

littlehedgehog Thu 23-Dec-10 19:55:37

Very sudden change in how my breasts feel. Nipples sore and DD frustrated as let down slow.

Lastyearsmodel Thu 23-Dec-10 19:57:53

Could it be a temporary change due to ovulation? Is it the first cycle since DD was born?

My nipples used to get sore when my periods returned.

Does anything make you think your supply has reduced, or is it just that your letdown has slowed?

littlehedgehog Thu 23-Dec-10 20:27:00

Sorry Lastyearsmodel, have just eaten, hence taking a while to answer.

I think it is a temporary change, kellymom advises to use supplements from the time of ovulation to periods but don't really say what to expect. Quite vague about doses as well. It would be really hard to have this reduced supply throughout the 2 weeks though so keen to find something to up my supply - have noticed a sudden change in fullness and slower let down. I'm sure the change is compounded by DD suddenly reducing feeding times as well due to illness.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Dec-10 20:41:17

Does DD have a blocked nose? Could that be causing the sore nipples?

Lastyearsmodel Thu 23-Dec-10 20:50:03

The changes you've noticed don't necessarily mean there's been any change in your supply. Even if there has been a change (which you might expect during weaning) it would only be a problem if your DD's weight gain slowed dramatically (which can also happen at weaning) or there was a reduction in wet/dirty nappies.

Your DD could also be feeding differently or getting cross due to her illness.

Unless you're certain there is a problem, try not to worry much about supplements. Kellymom is excellent, or try speaking to your local bf group or La Leche League.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: