Talk

Advanced search

Calorie intake whilst BF

(7 Posts)
runnermum2 Thu 23-Dec-10 16:14:43

I'm a cross country runner (or was until 6mo preg!). Have just seen the dr who is happy for me to start gentle jogging again. The only problem is that I struggle to eat 2500 calories a day at the moment. I rarely manage breakfast until lunchtime. If I start using up extra calories running will my milk supply suffer or will I mobilise fat stores (I'm a little fatter than pre-preg but not hugely so)? Am keen to get out again though as really miss running and think it will keep me sane. Thanks in advance xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Dec-10 16:28:36

From posts I've read previously I don't think that a low calorie intake will decrease your milk supply but you may want to eat more just so that you feel healthy and not start loosing too much weight.

When I was bfing exclusively I always reckoned that they had missed a zero off the end of the extra calorie intake.

Poppycock Cashew Popcorn is a very yummy 1,000 calories a box if you need a boost.

TruthSweet Thu 23-Dec-10 17:23:02

Kellymom has some good advice on calorie intake here and advice on bfing & exercise here

togarama Thu 23-Dec-10 17:57:14

Both BFing and running stimulate appetite in my experience. Once you start running again you may just find yourself automatically eating more.

After DD was born I was only a few pounds above my normal weight but ran and breastfed without any supply problem. However, I did eat like a horse, pig and several other animals combined...

runnermum2 Thu 23-Dec-10 19:01:37

Thanks TruthSweet, very useful links.
And I'm going to hunt out some Cashew Popcorn too ...
It's good to know that others have run and breastfed successfully as well.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Dec-10 19:59:23

My DS fed like a demon. At one point I was eating a box a day and not gaining weight. Hadn't checked the calories until my BF came around and pointed it out, albeit a little enviously. DS turned bfing into Lip-O-Suction grin

MumNWLondon Thu 23-Dec-10 21:39:24

I am a gym go-er but never really managed to run when BFing. I was too overweight, and boobs too big/full/uncomfortable.

Just plan your meals and make sure you eat 3 good meals a day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: