Talk

Advanced search

Help- is this mastitis?

(10 Posts)
chillichill Wed 22-Dec-10 08:03:59

woke up at 2am with a very very sore right breast, it feels as if its been beaten with a hammer.
There aren't any lumps on the surface but when I (painfully) massage and poke around it feels like there is hardness deep down by the top right (under my arm pit).
dd is 12weeks and has recently been going on mini nursing strikes do to what I think is strong let down so have been block feeding to try and remedy, could this be the cause?
have fed her 3 times tonight from that breast and have expressed after. I am waiting to phone the gp for an appt.

I have also looked for the white pin heads that signify a blocked duct but could not see any and when I squeeze there is milk coming out of all sides so don't think its that.

I will continue to feed dd from this aide and then express the other side, does that seem like the right way to treat? I don't really want to keep expressing on the affected side as I don't want to increase supply too much.

any help much appreciated.

marzipananimal Wed 22-Dec-10 08:11:26

Yes it does sounds like mastitis although it could just be a bad blocked duct. Have you got any other symptoms (shivery, achy, temperature, nausea)?
Have a look at kellymom's section on mastitis if you haven't already.
I have found rest to be really key in recovering. Can you stay in bed and get DP/DH to bring baby to you for feeds and take care of everything else? You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen.
Gentle warmth and massage just before a feed, express a bit straight after a feed to get the breast as empty as poss, feed in different positions, feed mainly on the poorly breast but don't let the other one get over full. Cold cabbage leaf (or cold flannel) after a feed is soothing.
Not sure about the oversupply thing, I've had that concern too but I think clearing the blockage/mastitis has to be the priority.
Hope you feel better soon

marzipananimal Wed 22-Dec-10 08:15:19

Maybe ring one of the bf helplines to talk about your over supply issues and how to handle this. I'm no expert just have personal experience.
0300 100 0212 National Breastfeeding helpline.
0300 330 0771 NCT breastfeeding helpline
0845 120 2918 La Leche League

chillichill Wed 22-Dec-10 08:29:18

I have a doc appt at noon now.
dh is home till 2 so can help, then on my own.
starting to feel chilled and achey but don't know if that is the mastitis or cold flat/ lack of sleep.
will rest as much as I can and do as you suggested with warm/cold. massage and expressing. and I was meant to start the Christmas clean today!
the real irony is that up until this week I had been on domperidone because I had supply issues at the start. funny that when I feel my supply is ok and stop taking ot I get an over supply!

chillichill Wed 22-Dec-10 10:19:31

one more question, what do I do if she refuses the affected breast?

marzipananimal Wed 22-Dec-10 10:58:38

If she refuses then you'll need to try to empty it by expressing - easier to do in the bath or shower. DS never seemed to mind feeding from it though. Hope the doctor is helpful

seasister Wed 22-Dec-10 16:56:02

I've just come back from the doc - I have mastitis. I had a very bad case of the chills/shakes earlier today - so bad I knew it was probably mastitis. But then I developed red patches on my breast. Have you had a look at yours? Any red patches?

chillichill Wed 22-Dec-10 17:01:27

doc confirmed me too. my breast is a bit red on the side. she was really good and gave.similar advise as above. I have anti biotics but giving it till tomorrow to see if I can clear block without it.
feeding, expressing, hot shower, hope all works, hate anti biotics.

seasister Wed 22-Dec-10 18:19:01

Take the antibiotics - really - I don't like them either, but you really don't want an abscess. That's pain of a new dimension

chillichill Wed 22-Dec-10 19:34:20

ok, taken em. it feels a bit better but definitely won't be gone by morning. argh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now