Talk

Advanced search

Hiccups

(6 Posts)
SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Tue 21-Dec-10 13:06:58

My DS seems to get hiccups quite often; not always straight after a feed, he just randomly starts hiccuping. (he's bf)

I'm not worried he has colic or reflux etc as i dont think he has any other symptoms of either, but bless him they do annoy him after a while.

Does anyone know the best way to either stop him getting them or to stop them when he does get them? the only thing i've found that works atm is feeding him again. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me though as his poor tummy seems to spasm and clench so much when he's hiccuping.

jiggyjaggythistle Tue 21-Dec-10 13:28:55

My DS was always getting the hiccups when he was tiny and the only thing that stopped him was an extra wee feed as well. I don;t think it did him any harm - it looked really uncomfortable and he used to get a bit grumpy at the hiccups so if he'd take a feed I was happy.

Even now at 15 months he gets hiccups if he giggles too much, so has a wee drink out of his cup. (still bf but not so often!)

I could even feel him hiccuping before he was born - my bump was always jumping!

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Tue 21-Dec-10 16:17:54

My DS hiccups loads too and he did in the womb! They don't seem to bother him at all though and he will sometimes sleep through them. Feeding is the only way I have worked out of stopping them.

HBsMum Tue 21-Dec-10 16:47:31

My DS was also a grumpy hiccuper and apart from feeding, the only thing which worked occasionally was a teaspoon of gripe water.

breatheslowly Tue 21-Dec-10 17:46:06

DD used to hiccup about 3 times a day and did so in the womb too. She still does sometimes The only solutions seem to be feed or scream. Obviously feed is better but sometimes she just isn't hungry. I am looking forward to her learning to read so she can read the bit in the baby book we have which says that babies don't mind hiccups.

SleepDeprivedGrumpyBum Wed 22-Dec-10 07:01:46

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's reassuring to know that feeding seems to be an acceptable way of clearing DS's hiccups.

I completely forgot about him having hiccups in the womb, even managed to hear them on the little sonicaid thing the midwife used to check his heartbeat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now