Talk

Advanced search

alcohol and BF

(5 Posts)
LuckyC Mon 20-Dec-10 20:48:05

What are the rules? How much can I drink?

If I drink too much, then do I have to express and dump, even if next feed is only say 6 or 7 hours away?

Was preggers last christmas, have been BF and not really drinking for 9 months bloody well going to have a drink this Christmas!

HereMeRoar Mon 20-Dec-10 20:52:48

Helpful Breastfeeding Network leaflet and factsheet smile.

MoonUnitAlpha Mon 20-Dec-10 20:56:01

How much are you planning to drink? Generally each unit of alcohol takes an hour to clear, so 6 units will be gone in 6 hours. To be honest though such a tiny amount gets into your breastmilk that I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're so drunk you can't see straight then you're a danger to the baby whether you're breastfeeding or not. If you can safely handle the baby then you can safely feed.

wonderstuff Mon 20-Dec-10 21:00:05

You don't have to pump and dump - alchol enters breastmilk the same way it enters your bloodstream, so as you sober up the alchol leaves the milk. Best time to drink is whilst breastfeeding because there is a short delay in alchol getting to milk, so generally you have a few hours until next feel for milk to leave system.
Enjoy your drink smile

I find atm, having been preggers or bfeeding for the last 3 years, I can't really drink much at all any more, one glass of wine and I'm a bit squiffy.

LuckyC Mon 20-Dec-10 21:08:42

Thanks very much for very useful information.

Wonderstuff, I hear you: babies ruin drinking... ;)

So no massive nights out planned; can't handle myself around a glass of mulled wine at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now