Talk

Advanced search

Help please - think I have mastitis, and I don't know how to get rid of it

(13 Posts)
irishbird Sun 19-Dec-10 17:51:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOldestCat Sun 19-Dec-10 17:58:41

you poor thing; can't type much as feeding DS but have a blocked duct at the moment so this might help.

but it sounds as if it's mastitis and you need antibiotics - have you called the out-of-office doc for advice? I know you're snowed in - just wondering if they can get to you?

nymphadora Sun 19-Dec-10 18:08:33

OOH may be able to get someone to you. Even if it's to bring meds. Phone them & see what happens

FessaEst Sun 19-Dec-10 18:09:40

Poor you, it really does sound like you need antibiotics. Do you have any neighbours with a 4x4?

Feed as much as you can on that side, massaging while feeding, smoothing in the direction of the nipple. Try the rugby-ball hold and see if that helps. Try holding flannels that have been soaked in hot water on the area, and also run the shower over the area. Massage downwards always. You can take paracetamol for the fever, drink loads, tuck yourself up and try and get a prescription. When you are feeling better, you need to speak to someone about the latch problem -do you have any bfing support near you?

marzipananimal Sun 19-Dec-10 18:10:18

Sympathies.
Have you looked at kellymom's section on mastitis?

I would recommend: take regular paracetamol and ibuprofen, stay in bed and get as much sleep as you can (do you have DP/DH there who can look after baby and bring him to you for feeds?), massage gently but firmly towards the nipple while feeding, get baby to empty breast as much as poss then express a bit more if you can.

Out of hours GP could prescribe ABs over the phone and maybe they have a way of getting meds out to people?

marzipananimal Sun 19-Dec-10 18:12:25

Might you have a milk blister? info here They can prevent breast draining

clarabellarocks Sun 19-Dec-10 21:11:07

What everyone else says really. Apparently if your temperature is over 38.3 you need antibiotics. I was struck with it on Wednesday with a temp of 39 and I couldn't make it into my GP. Thankfully they came to see me as I was in tears although I don;t live too far from the surgery and a dr called on the way home and gave me a prescription. Can they get to you? The le leche site is really useful on info about mastitis. Read somewhere about holding a hot water bottle against them for the heat which I found more practical than wet flannels as could do slumped on sofa.

Hope you feel better soon as it really is horrid.

partyhats Sun 19-Dec-10 22:27:18

Poor you, definately sounds like mastitis. I have been taking antibiotics for the past 2 weeks for the same, you must try to see a doctor and get a prescription as soon as you can. Hope you feel better soon, it really is horrible.

bedlambeast Sun 19-Dec-10 22:30:21

Message withdrawn

bedlambeast Sun 19-Dec-10 22:34:28

Message withdrawn

TheOldestCat Mon 20-Dec-10 11:00:14

Morning, irishbird, how are you today?

I've managed to sort out my blocked duct (with the bath, hot flannel, express, ibuprofen method) and feel fine. I hope you've managed to improve things too. Or at least the snow has melted so you can get to the doctor.

Agree with bedlam (and everyone else) about trying different position to nurse if you can. I do the 'rugby' hold so DS's chin 'massages' the sore parts.

irishbird Mon 20-Dec-10 15:55:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOldestCat Mon 20-Dec-10 18:54:30

Oh poor you once more! How my (lovely) MIL's words echo in my mind as I sit, feverishly googling 'milk blister', cabbage leaf down top, expressing from the other side at 3am:

"You've been so LUCKY with breastfeeding!"

I have really, but you know....

Right, so the anti-bs will kick in soon and you will feel better. My doc says ibuprofen ok to take (and diclofenac certainly is - have been prescribed that for back pain). I also usually get thrush from anti-bs (usual place and nipples, lucky me) BUT the last couple of times I've not - having cut down big time on sugar and yeast (beer) and eaten loads of yogurt with lacdophillus or whatever it's called.

Probably just coincidence, but can't hurt (makes you feel you are battling the mighty thrush, anyway).

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now