Talk

Advanced search

If I took Dihydrocodeine 30mgs 15 hours ago, and 2 glasses of wine, is it safe to express my milk now and feed it baby?

(13 Posts)
OnEdge Fri 17-Dec-10 12:34:17

Not sure how it works, my 4 month old is fed formula mostly and one or two bottles of my expressed milk a day. Had severe toothache last night following treatment and took dihydrocodeine 30 mgs and also ad 2 glasses of wine.

Have just expressed a couple of ounces, should I chuck it ?

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Dec-10 12:39:21

Wine will definitely be fine, not sure about the codeine.

ChilledChick2 Fri 17-Dec-10 13:08:11

Your BM might be OK, but I don't understand why you mixed codiene-based pain relief and alcohol. You may end up with a banging head and feeling sick, so just making you aware of what could happen.

Back in the past, I had co-codamol 8/500mg (for a bad back) and had less than 1 glass of wine on a meal out with DH. Hadn't taken my pain relief for over 48hrs and still ended up with the hangover that had me spending over 24hrs feeling rough as a badgers bum.

OnEdge Fri 17-Dec-10 13:19:08

yes i realised within a couple of hors it had been a mistake, i'm fine now, just worried about the milk, so it should be ok to feed it to her ?

tiktok Fri 17-Dec-10 13:21:48

Your milk will be fine - even if you hadn't waited it would be fine. It takes 1.5 hours to process one unit of alcohol - when it's out your blood it's out your milk.

OnEdge Fri 17-Dec-10 14:35:00

tiktok that same for codene ?

OnEdge Fri 17-Dec-10 14:35:35

sorry for grammar etc one handed typing, baby in other

tiktok Fri 17-Dec-10 15:09:10

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmil k-information-and-factsheets.html and click on codeine.

You can also check on lactMed toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT.

I'm not a pharmacist but I'd be surprised if 30 mgs of codeine were still hanging around all this time.

PenguinArmy Sat 18-Dec-10 01:33:08

ouch on the codeine and the wine.

I was on codeine on two weeks when DD was born. Nothing was ever mentioned to be about effects on BF.

porcamiseria Sun 19-Dec-10 09:35:39

i am bf baby after a general anesthetic! on their advice but hes fine. in general codine based are OK but if worried just FF instead

i also drink wine, no drama. the only thing that has caused a change was lentils!

ArthurPewty Sun 19-Dec-10 09:43:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PickleSarnie Sun 19-Dec-10 16:58:11

They gave me dihydrocodeine when I was in hospital. They knew I was breast feeding - I assumed that they wouldn't have given me anything that would be contra-indicated.

PickleSarnie Sun 19-Dec-10 16:59:13

Sorry, should have said "when I was in the maternity hospital straight after giving birth"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now