Talk

Advanced search

Weaning and stopping BF

(6 Posts)
tinkerbug Thu 16-Dec-10 15:16:01

Just looking for some help with when to drop DS's last 2 daily BF....

DS is 9 months. He's on 3 meals a day and eating well. He has 2 BF per day, one when he wakes up (usually I take him in to bed with me for cuddles and his feed, sometimes we both doze) and once at bedtime before his story as part of his bedtime routine. He has a small beaker of milk about mid-afternoon as well.

My question is, when should I stop feeding him in the morning and at night? At what age do babies no longer need these feeds? I love BF and don't mind continuing for as long as DS needs it but part of me would like my body back now!

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 16-Dec-10 15:19:32

You could swap the breastfeeds for formula, but they can't have cow's milk as a drink til 12 months.

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 16-Dec-10 15:20:45

But the WHO also recommend breastfeeding til 2 years and beyond - I didn't mean to imply you have to stop at a year, you can continue for as long as you like.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Thu 16-Dec-10 19:22:36

As far as I know, milk is very important until a baby is 1. So I wouldn't switch to cows milk until then. Two BF a day at that age is pretty good going so I'd stick with that until he's 1 then switch if you want to!

thisisyesterday Thu 16-Dec-10 19:24:31

you shouldn't yet. milk should be the main source of nutrition until they are at least 1.
the WHO recommend continuing until at least 2
in fact, personally i don't think 2 breastfeeds at 9 months is very much at all

Millie1206 Thu 16-Dec-10 21:29:41

DS is 10 months and has 3 breast feeds a day (morning 4am, mid afternoon and bedtime) - I'm planning to switch mid afternoon to a cup next week as you have but will continue morning and bedtime for as long as he wants them (just wish he could go a bit later than 4am! Have just introduced an extra meal for supper as per HV advice to try and achieve this so will see how it goes)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now