Talk

Advanced search

pain when breasts refill

(11 Posts)
greeneone12 Wed 15-Dec-10 19:37:30

Hiya

Quick question. My boobs hurt a little after every feed....about 30 minutes after. Is this my breasts refilling? It's not terrible pain...like a dull ache and only momentary but it happens like clockwork. Does anyone else get this?

Thanks
X

threefeethighandrising Thu 16-Dec-10 01:16:39

I expect it is. I think it's called "the letdown."

FWIW once your body gets used to BFing over time, your body becomes more effecient at the whole things and it becomes much easier. Mine hurt a lot at first (probably bad latch I think) and the leaked all the time (sorry if TMI!). Many months later and I have no evidence of milk, it;s as it it's not there anymore. But DS is still drinking it so it must be!

threefeethighandrising Thu 16-Dec-10 01:17:12

Here's the La Leche League page of pain at letdown. HTH smile

www.llli.org/FAQ/pain.html

threefeethighandrising Thu 16-Dec-10 01:17:56

I meant page on pain!

Not "page of pain" - that sounds terrible!

shirleyhyypia Thu 16-Dec-10 01:22:12

My mum warned me when DS was born that her letdown pain was worse than labour!!

greeneone12 Thu 16-Dec-10 17:48:44

But isn't letdown when you start to feed?

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 16-Dec-10 19:19:11

Yes, the letdown is at the beginning of the feed. Is the pain in your breasts or in the nipple? Vasospasm can cause nipple pain in between feeds - something to do with blood vessels constricting I think.

greeneone12 Fri 17-Dec-10 14:39:00

It's in the breasts. Nct helping reckons I definitely have thrush starting daktarin cream today.

Montifer Fri 17-Dec-10 14:50:14

I get exactly this pain, DS2 is 3 weeks old.

I had it with DS1, convinced myself it was ductal thrush (from LLLI info sheet) but it didn't improve with the topical Daktarin and high dose fluconazole regimen.
I found it a real PITA when I had to apply cream and then wipe it off before each feed.

I took a few weeks of grapefruit seed extract tablets (recommended as a complementary treatment on LLLI pamphlet) and the pain settled, not sure if it was coincidence or not.

Am just riding it out this time and will see if the pains settle in a few weeks.
It's unpleasant but not unbearable and I think I'm more relaxed about it this time around as I'm confident it'll get better with time when my body gets back into the pattern of never ending bf.

Hope yours settles down quickly too smile

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 17-Dec-10 14:58:15

A momentary dull ache doesn't sound like thrush to me, and in any case daktarin cream will only treat thrush on the surface of your nipples not inside the breast.

If it's not really bothering you or your baby maybe just give it a while to settle down before you start treating anything? I got loads of random aches and twinges in the first few weeks but it all settled down by 3-4 months.

Nagoo Fri 17-Dec-10 20:25:56

I got the vasospasm thing up until dd was about 15 days. I thought it was thrush, as i got the stabbing with a knife pain, but it was momentary and went away on its own.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: