Talk

Advanced search

Formula and eczema?

(10 Posts)
MoonUnitAlpha Wed 15-Dec-10 19:25:41

Does anyone know if formula can cause or exacerbate eczema in a baby?

mollycuddles Wed 15-Dec-10 19:29:50

Couldn't find the evidence right now but anecdotally yes. One of the main reasons I'm not ff despite dd being 7 months and me being back at work full time. I have dreadful eczema and hoping to keep it away from dd.

JazzieJeff Wed 15-Dec-10 22:01:16

I doubt it! If eczema was food related you would sort it with a diet when you were older. If you have it, you have it. My DH sometimes gets athletes foot and he eats cheese. Oh, I had athsma and eczema as a baby and I was EBF for 6 months.

Earplugs Wed 15-Dec-10 22:30:35

The causes of eczema are very complex and still not fully understood so to say formula causes eczema is incorrect. Could it trigger eczema in those already with the underlying condition, who knows, but to say it causes it is just wrong.

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 15-Dec-10 22:47:25

But do you think it would make eczema worse then?

JazzieJeff Wed 15-Dec-10 23:22:07

No, I personally don't. If you were thinking of switching to ff, you could introduce one bottle of it a day and see how it goes. Consult your gp if you have concerns.

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 16-Dec-10 08:26:13

The GP was of the opinion that formula/dairy won't make any difference, but you never know how up to date their advice is hmm

He was having one formula feed a day, and since I've gone back to EBF his skin has improved but that also coincided with using a hydrocortisone cream so don't know if the formula had an effect. Just wondering whether to try to re-introduce it.

QueenOfFlamingEverything Thu 16-Dec-10 08:52:44

if there is an underlying dairy intolerance then certainly formula could exacerbate it

jazziejeff there is actually evidence that in some cases eczema is linked to food intolerance, dairy being a common one

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 16-Dec-10 09:19:23

In my personal experience yes. I was FF and had horrendous baby/childhood excema which I mostly grew out of. Dad reckons it was the formula, but then anecdote doesn't equal fact grin

AppleAndBlackberry Thu 16-Dec-10 13:26:18

I have read that food allergies can exacerbate eczema but don't tend to cause it in and of themselves. However I think with a dairy intolerance that they would get exposed to it through your milk anyway unless you don't eat any dairy. Either way you can't tell anything if you started using hydrocortizone at the same time, that stuff is generally very effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now