Talk

Advanced search

BF baby insanely windy all the time!! Help!

(16 Posts)
WildhoodChunder Wed 15-Dec-10 17:07:45

Poor DS is miserable, as am I. GP says it's not reflux, it is just wind, but no matter how much winding I do DS is still writhing an crying. Tried all sorts of winding positions, over shoulder, across lap, tiger in tree, sideways tiger... I end up feeding him to soothe him but that just settles him for ten minutes when he comes off and it starts all over again. Mostly it seems to be farts that trouble him rather than burps. Nights are particularly bad, have tried feeding lying down and makes no difference. No common diet factor I can identify, every day seems the same regardless of what I eat. What else can I do? He doesn't sleep well because of it, it's driving me mad feeding or winding all day.

WildhoodChunder Wed 15-Dec-10 17:10:15

He's 6 wks btw.

tiktok Wed 15-Dec-10 17:19:29

What happens if you just keep him close and respond to his feeding cues - prob have him in a sling and feed v. frequently? Maybe keeping him fairly upright?

If winding doesn't help.....why not stop doing it?!

WildhoodChunder Wed 15-Dec-10 17:31:47

Thanks tiktok! I was just reading your post tiktok and thinking yep, tried feeding frequently, keeping upright and close but haven't tried sling. Just stuck him in it and it's like someone's hit a mute button. I need to keep moving but it's better than the screaming! (If you remember me from previous thread re slow weight gain, he's put on 14oz in last 2 weeks, very chuffed!)

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 15-Dec-10 17:41:17

If it's farting rather than burping, I've been told that winding them won't help - as it's due to gas forming in their digestive system rather than swallowing air while feeding. Not sure how true that is though!

WildhoodChunder Wed 15-Dec-10 19:07:57

Interesting MoonUnit. I persist with the winding as I feel so helpless otherwise, in the face of poor DS's misery. It doesn't seem that effective though, I agree.

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 15-Dec-10 19:11:22

Do warm baths or massage help at all?

TheOldestCat Wed 15-Dec-10 19:15:06

Lying DS on his back while 'cycling' his legs always helped release the offending wind - from his bottom, that is. Alternating with tiger in the tree.

shirleyhyypia Thu 16-Dec-10 00:45:01

My DS does this too, for about 10 mins before he farts he'll scream and scream, at its worst when he actually passes wind, then 2 mins later he'll be his happy self again!

Sometimes, cycling/massage/baths help, but other times there is nothing I can do. If I distract him, its for a matter of seconds before he starts again.

BaggedandTagged Thu 16-Dec-10 06:01:43

Have you tried Infacol? It doesnt stop them getting wind but it makes it easier for them to get it up, or get it down and out- apparently it makes the gas form into bigger bubbles which are easier to pass.

It doesn't work for all babies and it takes a while as the effect is cumulative, but definitely worked for me.

WildhoodChunder Thu 16-Dec-10 09:29:09

He hates baths but I'll try massage. Cycling helped a bit last night, when he's not making his legs rigid. And I'll give the Infacol a go... We've both been up since 3 with it on and off for third day in a row so will try anything! Thanks!

Surreyscooby Thu 16-Dec-10 10:54:53

Hello all, first posting but am desperate! my 11 week old is now being bottle fed on formula. We are feeding on demand but the last couple of days of feeds have been rather challenging to say the least! Every time I break A away from the bottle for a wind he rages impatiently to get the bottle back. He flays his arms around and is impossible to wind in any position. I try to break him off the bottle when I hear him pause and have tried shoving a dummy in to distract him so can wind him, but it's not been too successful. Tried Dentinox a few weeks ago when we had similar episode and that did the trick then. Not tried it this week though. When I do give in and let him have the bottle back without a winding invariably he brings a bit up at the end, sometimes a lot! The rest of the time he is a smiley happy baby. Bit of a waffly message but any tips greatfully received!!

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 16-Dec-10 10:58:40

Surreyscooby - you may get more answers if you start your own thread.

I didn't worry too much about winding with my two, just sat them upright and if a burp came up it came up!

Surreyscooby Thu 16-Dec-10 10:59:51

Thanks for the tip - still finding my way round the site!

tiktok Thu 16-Dec-10 11:04:49

surreyscooby - might be better to start a new thread, as this is Wildhood's thread and answers to you and her will be confusing!

having said that - not sure why you are winding him mid-feed if he does not seem to need it or want it?

Surreyscooby Thu 16-Dec-10 11:15:00

Thanks - apologies for highjacking this thread. Not used site before and not familiar with protocols. Have now posted own message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now