Talk

Advanced search

BF Oversupply - leaking boobs

(8 Posts)
clarechick Tue 14-Dec-10 16:49:36

Need some advice, I have been breastfeeding and eventually getting into the swing of things with DD now 8 weeks old - feeling proud I've made it so far!!!

Over the last few days while feeding, I have noticed an increased leakage from the side I'm not feeding on - this happens with both breasts - I am soaking through breast pads and even have had to changes DD's clothes when it has leaked through so much!! I breastfeed on both sides at every feed - would this be causing such a massive leakage? How can i stop this or will it adjust itself - it is so frustrating as I am wet through after every feed. Help!! I am also feeling a letdown now between feeds during the day more often too.

MummyElk Tue 14-Dec-10 16:59:45

Hi clarechick
Briefly but it should calm down a bit - 8weeks is still pretty early on in the old breastfeeding journey and your boobs are adjusting to your DD and how she is feeding. At around 6 weeks your milk changes slightly, as does your DD's feeding habits, the milk is more concentrated and DD has got the hang of it! So for your boobs, it's now a case of them working out when she feeds and how long she feeds and how much milk they need to make....which can take a few weeks for them to do....

I think from memory my feeling of letdown ebbed away by about 12 weeks....and leakage also around about then - but EVERY boob is different grin
Can you try double padding with the breast pads? What make are you using? You could try reusable ones together with a disposable one.

But WELL DONE on doing so well with DD, sounds like you are doing great. It Will settle down, i promise

clarechick Tue 14-Dec-10 17:08:51

Thanks MummyElk for the encouragement! Just using Tesco / Mothercare disposable breastpads - but they are small and soak through very quickly - do you have another recommended make for me to try? Good idea about the reusable ones - will try it.

Yes DD is still a bit erractic about her feeding times but is now feeding the same amount of feeds per day so it may be more a timing thing as feeds can vary by an hour or so sometimes.

Hope it all settles down soon - just a bit frustrating as the problem has increased in the last few days which seems a bit strange...

blueberrysantabait Tue 14-Dec-10 17:15:00

I was like this but it has recently settled down, yours will settle down eventually too, your body needs to regulate itself. I had a massive oversupply (can get 4oz from breast shells in a feed shock ) and found that feeding from the same breast for 2 or 3 hours then switching to the other side helped regulate my supply too. I have found that Tommee Tippee or Lansinoh breast pads are the best for preventing leakage - they are quite thin but larger and so much better.

clarechick Tue 14-Dec-10 17:29:05

Thanks Blueberrysantabait, will look out for those breastpad makes. I'm sure I could get at least an oz in one feed too - how did you find the breast shells - are they easy to use or a bit fiddly? also if supply is likely to settle down, are they worth getting...

Squitten Tue 14-Dec-10 17:59:05

DS2 is only just over a week and I'm leaking all over the place! For some reason he's not so good at latching on on my left side and I swear to God we're both nearly drowned before he gets it!

I'm using the Lansinoh breast pads and they are very good at mopping up the excess

blueberrysantabait Tue 14-Dec-10 19:24:31

Clare - yes worth getting as DD2 is now 6mo and I still use them during feeds as I still let down from both sides when feeding.

RJandA Tue 14-Dec-10 20:31:45

Have you heard of breast shells? They catch the drips which you can then discard / freeze / donate to a milk bank.

Can't comment on this particular type as I was never lucky enough to need them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: