Talk

Advanced search

Need advice on bf and working full time.

(9 Posts)
Haribojoe Sat 11-Dec-10 22:13:43

I have posted before for advice when I return to work part time in March (thank you for your replies).

As part of my job I have to do mandatory training and for this have to work 8-5 for 5 consecutive days.

Basically I'm worrying about how I will manage with bf/expressing enough milk.

Sorry if this sounds feeble but as I've mentioned before I've never managed to ebf for this long before (DS is 14 weeks) and I just don't know where to start.

thanks in advance x

clare8allthemincepies Sat 11-Dec-10 23:45:23

Hi, I'm now back at work (only 3 days but long ones!) each working day I feed her early morning (about half 6) from 1 boob and then express from the other. Then during my lunch break (about 1ish) I go and express (from both sides) again each time I can get about 5oz to make the 2 bottles she needs for nursery each day

MumNWLondon Sun 12-Dec-10 20:28:40

It will be fine as long as you can express any excess before you leave the house in the morning plus once or twice during the day. Its not until March, please don't worry about it now. You'll then spend the weekend doing as much feeding as possible....

poppydog10 Sun 12-Dec-10 20:53:06

I can understand you being anxious and wanting to get things organised in advance.

I would get a good electric pump, maybe even a double one. I have got a medela one and can recommend it. Medela also do a nice little storage bag [http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-2065.aspx]

I would contact your work before you go back and let them know you will be breastfeeding, so they can arrange somewhere private to express.

Your ds will be around 6 months when you go back (sorry my maths is shocking since beinf on mat leave!) so he will be starting on solids, so you may find that you don't need to express for too long as he can have solids and water during the day.

Hope it all goes well for you. I'm sure it'll be fine.

poppydog10 Sun 12-Dec-10 20:53:53

direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-2065.aspx

Haribojoe Sun 12-Dec-10 21:24:49

thanks for the advice, don't feel quite so clueless now.

missmakesstuff Mon 13-Dec-10 21:29:11

I've been back at work since DD was 6 months old, 7 weeks ago, and really it's worked out fine - I knew I gradually wanted to wind down so that I could just feed morning and evening, and actually dd has taken to food really well, so I feed morning, then express once at lunch (but actually now could just not bother, boobs have just got used to it) and then evening, and during the night, usually once. She has formula and whatever I can express during the day.

I could have written your post before I went back, was very worried, but it does just work, it'll be fine!

mollycuddles Tue 14-Dec-10 07:57:58

I went back full time at 5.5 months. Dd started solids after another 3 weeks and has taken to them really well but hasn't got the idea that she should cut down on the 10 breast feeds she has a day now she's eating us out of house and home
But it's fine actually and still just having breast milk. I started regular expressing about 8 weeks before I went back - just morning and evening and my yield was never as good as some women but on 2 expresses I got 3-4 oz which is about one feed's worth. I only freeze in that quantity to avoid waste. I have a reasonable freezer stash which I don't use much tbh but it's nice for back up - I'll be late home today because of Xmas work meal so dh will be defrosting later. I still express morning and night every day as well as about 3/4 times a day at work - I do about 10 hour days so need to express this many times or get uncomfortable and don't get enough to keep dd going the next day. I have my own office so just lock the door and get on with it. I usually bring home about 12oz from a full day. Dd drinks more ebm than kellymom suggests - always a good place for advice re bf. Initially dh was overfeeding her but not now. She has 4/5 feeds when I'm away but has same number (at least) in the equivalent time when I'm off work. Each feed is about 3/3.5 oz. My yield from expressing isn't quite enough for the next day but my morning and night routine tops it out. Ebm can be kept in fridge for up to 5 days so what I express at weekends also helps.
Hth. Just thought it would be useful to show that even if your babe is a milk monster like mine you can still keep bf when working. Good luck. But don't obsess about it and let it wreck the rest of your maternity leave.

Haribojoe Tue 14-Dec-10 12:01:04

mollycuddles - thanks, reading what you've put I don't think I'll have a problem. DS is usually happy with 3-4 oz at a time and I tend to freeze in small amounts like you so ebm is not wasted.

Went out yesterday from 4pm till midnight (went to concert) and DS had 2 bottles of 3 oz each, I expressed when I got home and then fed him when he woke in the early hours.

The advice you've all given me has really put my mind at rest, nice to hear from people who have already been there.

Thank goodness for MN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now