Talk

Advanced search

AAAAH! Cutting down on BFs and I am in agony!

(6 Posts)
jinglesticks Fri 10-Dec-10 13:40:42

Ok so agony is a bit of an exaggeration, but I am finding this hard! Got to cut down to 2 feeds a day so I can go back to work. DD nearly 11 months so plenty of solids and I'm replacing one bf with ff from beaker for a week, and the another...

Gone from 4-5 feeds over 24 hours to 2 (just)and each time I've missed a feed I've found it so painful, but this last one is the worst! I can't believe I'll make it till tonight without giving in a feeding her! AAAAAH!

deepfriedcupcake Fri 10-Dec-10 14:03:09

Ow. I've got that to come in a month or so.

I think I gave in and just had to stick DS on last time round, expressing just didn't bring it down enough. Didn't last past one really painful day though, and I think a hot shower helped relieve the pressure too.

MumNWLondon Fri 10-Dec-10 14:06:40

The other way of doing it is to not cut down at all and take breastpump to work and just pump off enough to relief any pain / engorgement. Supply would drop....

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Fri 10-Dec-10 14:09:45

Why have you cut down so quickly?

jinglesticks Fri 10-Dec-10 15:09:52

Is this quickly? I read somewhere to drop one feed a week. Can't remember where (that usually means it was on MN).

Can't stand the thought of taking a pump to work but I expect I'll have to. I'm a teacher and at school I don't usually shave a minute to spare without students pestering for help, and I can't imagine where I'd go to do the pumping (although I know they have to provide somewhere). It just seems really sordid - like going for a wank in a cupboard...

Never mind, thanks for advice x

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Fri 10-Dec-10 17:44:08

No it's because you said you'd gone from 4-5 feeds to 2 - I misread it thinking you'd dropped over 24 hours. 1 a week is normal yes.

I know what you mean about expressing at work. I fed DS about 2 times a day but when I go to work I don't. My boobs got used to it pretty quickly - I didn't drop feeds. At first I expressed when at work but could never relax to get enough out.

I would feed her if it hurts - just a little on perhaps (if you'd rather not express).

Also be really careful with your boobs - don't wear an underwired bra until the engorgement subsides, don't knock them and perhaps use cold compresses if it hurts (stick a couple of cabbage leaves in the freezer then pop in bra).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now