Talk

Advanced search

Very sicky baby - thoughts please

(11 Posts)
CamperFan Thu 09-Dec-10 11:38:15

DS2 is 6.5 weeks. He has always been sick, much more so than I remember DS1 being. Some days are worse than others, the last couple seem particularly bad. He brings up so much throughout the day that I can't imagine he is taking enough milk, but he seems happy enough, apart from when he has wind and sleeps fairly well (apart from last night, which was a shocker). I mentioned reflux to the doctor a couple of weeks ago. He said that if he was gaining weight and not bothered by it, to just leave it. But the last few days seem worse, and actually he hasn't been weighed for 3 weeks, although has clearly grown.

So I am going to drs today to mention it again and have him weighed. Is there anything I should bear in mind when I go to drs? Could it be reflux but without all the nasty pain (have been reading people's stories on the reflux thread, sounds awful), or something else? Are some babies just VERY pukey? Should I try to feed him more (he sometimes goes 6 hours at night). Any thoughts appreciated.

MrsCurly Thu 09-Dec-10 11:39:40

Some babies are very pukey, esp in the early days. Its quite frightening, but if they are gaining weight and seem happy, try not to worry. Like everything, it will pass. x

festivefriedawhingesagain Thu 09-Dec-10 11:41:48

I would definately consider reflux as a possibility. I would either ask about trying some medication to see if it helps, or being referred to a paed as you are obviously concerned about him.

Is he having plenty of wet and dirty nappies? Alert and otherwise well?

If he is thriving it would be a shame to introduce medication if it isn't needed, but a paed could assess him further and decide?

CamperFan Thu 09-Dec-10 12:06:12

Thanks. Yes, very wet nappies and plenty of dirty ones for me to change wink. I would like to see what his percentile is now, will take my red book to drs today. I am concerned, yes, but he does seem happy, lots of smiles this week smile.

Lynzjam Thu 09-Dec-10 17:27:38

My DD is 3weeks months. She was extremely sicky. Like you and your DS I worried that she was bringing up whole feeds and there seemed to be really bad days and not so bad days.

The fact she never seemed bothered by it meant I didn't go to the docs because I'd didn't want her to suffer from constipation due to whatever they precsribe for reflux.

Just meant lots of washing. Her clothes, my clothes, muslins, towels and bibs. She is alot better now. Still pukes but not to the point where I want to cry about it.

I reckon she just ate more to replace what she puked up.

Lynzjam Thu 09-Dec-10 17:28:56

Lol! She's 3 months!

CamperFan Thu 09-Dec-10 20:39:31

Thanks Lynzjam. I went to Drs today and he is gaining weight just fine - he was just below the 50 % line 3 weeks ago and is now just above it at 10lb 14oz, so he is doing great! So we will just continue with the endless laundry, like you. The Dr suggested he might just be greedy and eat too much. Just like my DH then.

Lynzjam Thu 09-Dec-10 21:59:24

Yeh thats what my health visitor said. That she was overeating and taking in more than her stomach could handle.
She also said it might seem like alot of sick as it is mixed with digestive juices!
I think I read on Kelly mom that you should just keep breastfeeding as it empties the stomach quicker.

mawbroon Thu 09-Dec-10 22:15:20

How is your supply and letdown CamperFan?

If you have a generous supply which is often accompanied by a fast let down, then the baby can take in too much and the excess comes right back up.

If this is the problem, it is fairly easy to rectify.

CamperFan Fri 10-Dec-10 17:20:33

I think supply is good and after letdown if he comes off my breast then it sprays in his face, so perhaps it is quick! How could this be rectified, by expressing some first?

mawbroon Sat 11-Dec-10 22:06:41

Have a look at this and see if any of it fits

HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: