Talk

Advanced search

Day 4 - Constant feeding

(20 Posts)
Mammie81 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:18:49

Today finally my milk came in. However Im now feeding every 2 hours, for about an hour, and the baby doesnt always seem satisfied.

I know the milk is there because I can express around 20ml in 10 minutes (Ive been doing this after each feed to try and get my supply up)

Could it be that his suck is really weak? And thats why I get loads of milk when I express, and why he doesnt seem to get as much from me?

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 08-Dec-10 21:21:39

I'm afraid that sounds quite normal to me - my ds fed every two hours (at least) for weeks and weeks. Eventually the feeds got shorter though, now it takes about 15 minutes rather than an hour.

stickersarecurrency Wed 08-Dec-10 21:23:15

I think feeding frequently and for long periods is totally normal at 4 days. Why do you think you need to get your supply up? Letting baby feed as often as he wants is the best way of ensuring an adequate supply. If you're worried about his sucking get your MW to check how he's latching on. Remember he's learning too

crikeybadger Wed 08-Dec-10 21:28:02

Why do you think your milk supply is low Mammie?- I wouldn't have thought you would need to be expressing so early on.

Feeding frequently is normal and good for such a tiny new baby.

Just keep him close to you - that's the best place for him.

If you're worried that he's not feeding effectively, then get your mw to watch him feed and just check his latch is as good as it can be.

Well done by the way smile

tiktok Wed 08-Dec-10 21:28:40

Normally no need at all to express - and deffo not after every feed! You will make your body think it has twins and you could have a serious case of oversupply!

If your baby is not 'satisfied' keep him at the breast and switch from side to side when he looks as if he is ready to switch....no need to think his suck is weak.

2 hourly feeding is not that often for a 4 day old - plenty of babies feed more often than that, off and on all day....expect to feed even more tomorrow

thisisyesterday Wed 08-Dec-10 21:29:51

what he is doing is absolkutely normal mammie! i am sure he gets plentyt from you try and relax and trust your body and your baby

Mammie81 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:37:27

Thanks everyone, I feel so much better. smile After an hour at the breast (30 mins on each) I thought he might be satisfied. Thats why I thought my supply might be low/he has a slow suck?

It gets shorter with each day though, right?

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 08-Dec-10 21:40:52

What makes you think he isn't satisfied? Are you taking him off after 30 minutes or is he coming off himself?

Mammie81 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:46:22

Sometimes he falls asleep (properly, not just breaking) and sometimes he breaks off, seems happy, dozes for a bit but then grizzles for more.

Just now has been awful. Hes fed from 5pm - 6pm, 7pm-8pm and hes on me now because he wouldnt settle. sad

Mammie81 Wed 08-Dec-10 21:50:24

Sorry - to add - the MW at the workshop I went to said that he was latched on well.

bitzermaloney Wed 08-Dec-10 22:03:09

Both my dses fed like this, especially in the evening. With ds1 I kept trying to put him down and got stressed when he wouldn't settle - with ds2 I just settled myself on the sofa in front of the telly with him supported by a cushion, and let him feed from 6pm off and on all evening till about midnight, when he'd finally sleep a good stretch. There was a lot less crying with ds2 (from both of us)! For me a big part of it was getting past the worry of thinking 'He can't POSSIBLY still be hungry'... bfing was the only thing that quietened them, so that is what they needed. And the good thing about feeding all evening is that sometimes means they have stocked up ready for a good sleep at the same time as you want to sleep.

stickersarecurrency Wed 08-Dec-10 22:03:33

This link explains what's going on with the frequent feeds and apparent lack of satisfaction ... it's all normal, no reason to worry about any of this

If you go with the flow and feed when he wants (even if sometimes you can't believe he still wants to feed ) your supply will quickly meet his demand and this will settle down. My second baby is 11 weeks old and although she still feeds frequently between 4pm and 9pm the time at the breast is becoming less and the sleeps are becoming longer - it will seem like a lifetime away but in just a few weeks you'll be in the same situation

NonnoMum Wed 08-Dec-10 22:10:17

Congratulations on your lovely new baby.
Just let him feed and feed and feed.
It will get better, but just enjoy the early days and the smug look on your baby's face...

grin

Mammie81 Wed 08-Dec-10 22:12:17

My friend has said the evenings can be bad too. So again, thanks for the reassurance. I just never imagined he would want to feed for so long! I think part of it is worry that Im not giving him enough to eat I suppose. I definately feel better about it now!

(Plus, hes asleep now) smile

stickersarecurrency Wed 08-Dec-10 22:15:26

And you can chill with the expressing, yeah? Put the pump back in the cupboard and save yourself the hassle!

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 08-Dec-10 22:18:10

Remember that breastfeeding isn't just about food for him - he's just been through a pretty traumatic experience and wants to be as close to you as possible! The breast is food, comfort, warmth, safety, familiarity etc.

Keep an eye on his nappies - if he's getting plenty of wet nappies (you can put a piece of cotton wool in his nappy if he's in disposables, because sometimes with them it's difficult to tell if they're wet or not) and his poo is changing colour and becoming yellow then he's getting enough milk.

fidelma Wed 08-Dec-10 22:22:38

Have something to eat and a big drink.Then a rest/sleep.That will keep your milk supply going and building.
Dont worry about how much you eat.It will help with all the feeding.
I have always gone back to smaller than my pre pregnancy shape within 6 months to a year.(4 times)
Look after yourself and congratulations.smile

Mammie81 Wed 08-Dec-10 22:29:01

Thanks SO much for that link btw. DP wanted to give him a top up bottle of formula and Im SO glad I didnt let him, especially after reading that.

Oneandnomore Wed 08-Dec-10 22:36:49

Firstly, congratulations on your beautiful new baby boy.

My HV told me that new babies love to be breast fed all snuggled up to mummy, and the more often they can feed, the better for you both. It's something that I always remembered, especially at 2 am!!

Rest as much as you can and relax and enjoy your baby. smile

stickersarecurrency Wed 08-Dec-10 23:04:22

Just wanted to add that actually your diet won't make an iota of difference to your ability to produce milk. Eat to hunger and drink to thirst. More of either won't mean more milk - see link

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: