Talk

Advanced search

BF and weaning to solids

(6 Posts)
putthekettleon Wed 08-Dec-10 15:13:01

Hey,

DD2 is almost 6 months and exclusively breastfed- I've never had a routine she just feeds when she's hungry. I've started weaning in the last couple of weeks, at the moment she's just on one meal a day of pureed carrot/pear/banana etc and it doesn't seem to have affected her appetite for BF at all really, she eats her food then looks around for more so I give her the boob.

Just wondering what I can expect once she's on 3 meals a day? Will she cut down a lot on the BF? Is it likely to get more regular? I'm hoping to keep BF to 12 months at least (no choice really as she is a bottle-refuser!)

I only BF DD1 for 5 months and when she started solids everything fell into a nice little pattern of 3 meals a day and bottles mid-morning, mid-afternoon and bedtime. Can I expect the same from DD2?

Thanks

barbiewantsawhitechristmas Wed 08-Dec-10 15:19:24

Hi, dd is also exclusively bf...once weaning had started we quickly progressed onto 3 meals a day but she still wanted milk just as many times as before but for not as long...

After a few weeks we were able to get out and about much more due to the weather being cooler (dubai) and sometimes we found she was so occupied throughout the day that the pureed meals were enough and she didn't demand the boob.

At 9 months she feeds about 3 to 4 times, never for very long except her pre bed feed....but then again she is still waking about 3/4 times at night for a feed hmm, but that's a whole new thread.

I guess this doesn't help much, im sure once established your dd wont want as much, hopefully she will drop a feed as opposed to her drinking less each feed iyswim?

MissMarjoribanks Wed 08-Dec-10 16:15:14

My DS was still just as interested in boob when he was on one meal a day. It took going up to three meals a day to make any difference.

He then gradually ate more and drank less, dropping feeds very regularly. I was totally led by him. He was on just 2 feeds a day from 9mo. We're still going at 12mo but are stopping next week when he gets over the bug he's got.

putthekettleon Thu 09-Dec-10 10:22:50

thanks for the replies, hmm, I guess I'll just have to be led by her and hope she starts to drop some feeds! She always has a feed first thing at around 7am, so if I start giving her breakfast at 8, hopefully this will keep her going til mid-morning. It will be quite nice to have some predictability back in my life!

mollycuddles Thu 09-Dec-10 10:46:23

My dd2 is 6.5 months and on 3 meals a day blw style. She eats a lot as evidenced by her nappies and her enthusiasm and she shouts for food when she eats or sees us eating or even preparing food. But she still bfs as much - about 10 times in 24 hours although generally slightly less frequently at night compared to pre solids. (trying to forget Tuesday night when she looking for boob every 2 hours). There's not a lot of calories in fruit or veg purée so it should get better when baby is eating more protein eg meat, cheese etc. That hasn't helped here but dd2 is a glutton

catwhiskers10 Fri 10-Dec-10 15:29:20

My DD (now 9 months) used to BF at least 10-12 times in 24 hours she was weaned at 5.5 months, by 7 months she was on 3 meals a day and the BF had cut down to about 6 times in 24hr. Now at 9 months she feeds about 4 or 5 times in 24hr.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: