Talk

Advanced search

Constipation and FF baby

(11 Posts)
burps Tue 07-Dec-10 15:37:27

I think my 11 week old DD may be slightly constipated. she has not gone in 4 days and her tummy is quite solid. I have read it is okay to give them a little cooled boiled water - has anyone done this? If so, how much and before or after feed?

thanks

mousesma Tue 07-Dec-10 19:50:00

DD was constipated recently and I offered her 2oz of water twice a day (she usually only took just over an oz of it). I mix feed but I gave it in between feeds i.e. after the first breast feed of the day but before the first bottle.

Worked really well and DD produced a poo the next day. Slightly TMI but it was very thick and paste like when compared to her normal runny poos so I think the lack of bowel movement was down to dehydration.

I gave DS1 cooled boiled water and the HV showed us some baby massage techniques too which seemed to help. He was on SMA which I think does cause constipation a bit more often although DS 2 was FF on SMA and never had any problems.

cardamomginger Tue 07-Dec-10 22:30:49

I gave cooled boiled water to DD (9 weeks), did a bit of massage and "cycled" her legs for a few minutes at each nappy change to get her muscles moving. If you are worried or if DD is in discomfort, do go to your GP. In our case, DD has a severe cow's milk allergy which she was already being treated for, and the constipation is part of that so we have glycerin suppositories to use while the allergy calms down. Really easy to put in and VERY effective grin.

fiveisanawfullybignumber Wed 08-Dec-10 09:34:03

DD2 had bad constipation on SMA, switched her to Aptamil and all was fine, water didn't seem to be enough in her case. DD3 is BF so had the opposite problem.hmmgrin

chipmonkey Wed 08-Dec-10 09:46:08

I know SIL gave her dd boiled water with sugar in it which did the trick but it was on the advice of her Mum. AFAIK, it's not recommended any more by HCP's but she said it worked immediately.

burps Wed 08-Dec-10 10:09:26

It is SMA she is on. I have thought about switching, but everything I read says you should not switch formula unless really needed.....

chipmonkey Wed 08-Dec-10 14:42:01

Constipation might be a situation where is is really needed though, burps.

fiveisanawfullybignumber Wed 08-Dec-10 17:36:36

I was worried about switching but couldn't bear to see her straing to pass little pellets. HV said to try a switch, was the best solution for her. Speak to your HV if worried.smile

burps Wed 08-Dec-10 17:54:22

My HV and GP both said she is not constipated if what she passes is not pellets. She eventually had a movement and it was like clay and then proceeded to do two 'normal' movements later, so I do think she was bunged up to an extent. I may well try a switch.

fiveisanawfullybignumber Thu 09-Dec-10 09:13:47

There are levels of constipation so to speak, it sounds like she was on an upper but not top level definitely.
It can't hurt to try another. I like aptamil as it has probiotics, not proven but I think it might go somewhere towards improving gastric health compared to other formulas if you can't or don't BF.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now