Talk

Advanced search

Weaning, breast milk and other drinks?

(7 Posts)
Liloosmum Mon 06-Dec-10 13:53:32

I've just started weaning DD#2 and it seems to be going well. I'm trying BLW and she seems to like just about everything!

I'm breastfeeding and am still feeding whenever she wants to, but I don't know whether to give her a cup of something while she's eating? It seems strange for her not to have a drink, but I don't want her filling up on water instead of breast milk.

Does she need a drink, or is it okay if I breast feed her after whatever solids she has eaten?

theyoungvisiter Mon 06-Dec-10 13:55:26

Offer her a sip with her food - but I really doubt she will "fill up" on water. She'll probably sip it and then ignore it.

Obviously if she does start chowing it down you can take it away - but my babies have always far preferred breast milk and the struggle was usually the other way around, ie persuading them that there were other fluids in existence.

Indith Mon 06-Dec-10 13:56:07

She won't need anything else really and probably won't drink much if you do offer. I gave both of mine a sippy cup with water during meals when weaning, just seemed normal and ds especially seemed to like ot have the odd sip to clear his mouth out when eating things like mashed potato. She will be getting plently of fluids through her feeds though.

putthekettleon Mon 06-Dec-10 14:07:53

I think they need water with food, my DD2 became constipated when we started weaning and making sure she drank water with every meal seemed to help.

Liloosmum Mon 06-Dec-10 14:19:12

I did give her a bit of water today and she seemed to want to drink loads of it so I did take it away. I suppose it might have been because it was a novelty for her.

Is it okay for her to have cow's milk? I know it can't be the main drink until a year, but is a little bit okay?

theyoungvisiter Mon 06-Dec-10 14:35:32

I think cow's milk is far more likely to fill her up than water.

Are you particularly worried about her weight gain? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about her drinking a little bit of water here and there. It won't make a big difference in the scheme of things as long as she still gets a few good feeds every day.

Liloosmum Mon 06-Dec-10 14:59:39

No I'm not worried about her weight, I'm worried that she'll wake up even more during the night than she does already! I guess a little bit of water won't make much difference

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now