Talk

Advanced search

formula milk

(7 Posts)
babyrose Mon 06-Dec-10 12:28:31

can you give left over formula milk?

mousesma Mon 06-Dec-10 12:44:30

Depends what you mean.

If you've only used half of a ready made carton and the left over milk is still in the carton then you can put it in the fridge and use it later.

If you mean can your baby drink half a bottle of milk and then save the rest for later then no. You have a 2 hour window to use the bottle then it has to be thrown away. I think this is because once your baby starts to drink it the milk is exposed to the germs in your baby's saliva. This applies to both ready made cartons and made up powder.

You can make milk in advance and keep it in the fridge for later but only if your baby hasn't touched it.

babyrose Mon 06-Dec-10 12:47:46

2 oz was left from bottle, just wondered if lo could have it in an hour or so

mousesma Mon 06-Dec-10 12:52:17

yes but only if in an hour or so it will still be within the 2 hour window.

I am in a similar position DD has drunk 4oz of 7oz bottle and then gone to sleep. If she doesn't wake before 1.30 then it's going to have to go down the sink.

babyrose Mon 06-Dec-10 13:03:16

best just to get rid of it, my lo just gone for sleep, not that it will be any loner than 45mins though!

mamaloco Mon 06-Dec-10 13:05:43

No, get rid of it.

tabouleh Mon 06-Dec-10 19:45:24

babyrose did your midwives or health visitors give you any information about formula and how to prepare it safely?

UNICEF leaflet about formula.

Department of Health preparation leaflet

World Health Organisation leaflet

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: