Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding when I go back to work, advice please.

(5 Posts)
Haribojoe Mon 06-Dec-10 11:22:00

DS3 (13 weeks old) is still exclusively BF. This is the longest I've ever breastfed for and if it continues to be successful I don't want to stop when I return to work in March.

When I go back to work I will be doing 2 night shifts per week. I leave for work just after 6pm and am usually back by 8am.

I was thinking that I would BF just before leaving for work and make sure that there was EBM at home which DH could give in the night. I would then express once during my shift at work.

DH seemed quite surprised that I wanted to do this but I really don't want to give up just because Im going back to work.

Has anyone got any advice or any thoughts on whether or not this plan sounds doable?

MoonUnitAlpha Mon 06-Dec-10 11:26:58

By March your ds will be about 6 months - you probably won't need to express will you? I would just feed in the day.

Haribojoe Mon 06-Dec-10 11:29:18

Thanks, wasn't really sure about any of it as haven't got this far before but like I said don't want to give up if I don't have to.

festivefriedawhingesagain Mon 06-Dec-10 11:33:03

Your plan sounds good, at 6m I would have needed to leave at least 2 feeds for that timescale though, maybe try to express during the daytime as well as at work, if that sounds doable?

Maybe could build up a stash in the freezer if you are doing 2 shifts per week. Mine both had feeds in the night for long after 6m (One was BF at that age, one was FF) but it's great you are planning to continue feeding. DS was a bit older when I went back but we are still feeding too, it's nice to have a cuddle and a feed when you get in from worksmile

Haribojoe Mon 06-Dec-10 11:46:36

festive - I was thinking that after xmas would start expressing once a day to build up a supply. At the moment if I fed DS at around 5pm then he would usually only feed once more by the time I'd be coming in from work.

Am hoping that he carries on being good at night as it will make life a little easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now