Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop?

(11 Posts)
tabbyH Sat 04-Dec-10 22:26:08

Dd is 14+ months now and I'm still bfing. I've had a fairly easy time with it all and she likes to bf at least twice a day. I'm back at work now and am away for nights at a time. I don't express unless it hurts during that time. Supply seems ok. So, she hasn't forgotten how to latch on with me being away, milk hasn't dried up and she still wants to feed. I'd rather we stopped now. But have no idea how to go about it! If I'm in the house, she wants me not a cup! And boy do we knw about it. She will happily take milk from a cup but only during the day. She also has cup milk am/night when dad feeds her when I'm away. I also don't have the heart to stop... I wanted it to her to decide - but I thought she would have stopped by now! Any suggestions appreciated or... Should I just carry on? I was glad she was still bfing when she had a chest infection last week and wanted nothing else - but where do you draw the line?

As a small aside, 12 month check, Dd was unwell and bf all day. Hv said she wasn't putting weight on fast enough as she was bf! Please tell me this is tosh. She only bf so much because she was unwell. Hv clearly didn't think I fed her food too (blw).

Funkychunkymunky Sun 05-Dec-10 00:37:03

HV speaking tosh. No difference in IMHO between breat and bottle when they are this age. In fact, between breast, bottle and cows milk.

Although, afer 6 months your DD is unable to digest antibodies so no benefit to her in the antibodies stakes.

Now she is 14 months I would say it's entirely up to you and DD. If you don't want to BF then there is no real reason that you should. However, if you and DD are happy then no real reason to stop.

It is entirely down to what suits you both best.

It might be useful to take the opportunity to wean her from your breast to a cup/ bottle etc but maybe you could start by cutting any day feeds and just do one a day from now on?

There is no right or wrong whatever you decide now she is 14mo so go with your instincts [crap advice emoticon]

jaggythistle Sun 05-Dec-10 04:11:40

what do you mean 'unable to digest antibodies after 6 months' monkey ?

there definitely still are benefits to the immune system and nutritional benefits at this age. have a wee look on Kellymom if you are interested.

my DS is 14 and a bit months and i kind of thought I'd have stopped by now too. it has been easier than i thought to carry on though. it has been really helpful for teething recently!

he will take warm cow's milk from his dad too if i am working at bed time.

sorry this hasn't been that helpful has it blush

you'd think it was a good thing you being able to get nutrition into your dd when she was ill, not sure where HVs get these ideas!

earwicga Sun 05-Dec-10 04:44:35

My great aunt couldn't get one of hers to stop breast feeding so she rubbed coal on her nipples. When he next went to feed he had a proper shock and that was that - he stopped. That was a long time ago and I am sure somebody else will have some better advice. It does still make me giggle though remembering her telling the story.

chaleyannscott Sun 05-Dec-10 04:53:31

I am still feeding my 2.5 year old and my 6 month old because that is what they want. I like doing it for the most part, sometimes I get a bit sore and tired as it can be quite demanding but I will do it until they want to stop. They are only little once afterall. The World Health Organisation recommend breastfeeding to 'age two and beyond' for the health and emotional benefits so to say it doesn't have any benefits is inaccurate.
I don't find the coal story funny - sorry. Poor baby.

jaggythistle Sun 05-Dec-10 04:54:28

i am not sure how long i am going to carry on the bf, but i had vaguely planned on getting DH to do bedtime for a while and drop that feed first. i then thought we'd just take him straight through for breakfast when he gets up when i wanted to stop the morning feed.

he quite likes a feed before a nap if i am around, he doesn't really demand feeds at any other time.

he has cow's milk on his breakfast and likes cheese, yoghurt etc, but I'd probably try to give him a cup or 2 of milk as well i suppose.

you can see why i haven't bothered trying to stop, 2 or 3 feeds a day seems easier!

i also like being able to settle him at night if he is upset and just cuddles don't work. grin

earwicga Sun 05-Dec-10 04:58:06

It was 50 years ago and he wasn't a baby chaleyannscott and it did him no harm at all, and did his tiny mother the world of good.

marzipananimal Sun 05-Dec-10 07:22:01

where did you read the funky? (about antibodies) It doesn't fit with info on kellymom

Zimm Sun 05-Dec-10 08:29:01

Indeed - I thought babies were poor makers of antibodies until at least a year - hence they get them from BF.

Babieseverywhere Sun 05-Dec-10 10:16:29

A 14 months old is still very much a baby, she will self wean one day, all children do at some point.

LOL, at the HV thinking still breastfeeding means no solids. It is a common myth. Of course your child went to an milk only diet when she was ill. You would of made antibodies for her specific illness and every time she nursed you were helping her both be comforted and easing her symptoms from the chest infection, regulating her skin temperature etc.

You draw the line anywhere you please. Whatever suits you and your daughter. It appears that you would be as happy to stop now but your daughter is making it clear how much nursing matters to her and it is more important to you to meet your daughters needs. Very commendable.grin

Nursing to match the child's needs seems to be the reason that many (all?) mother breastfed older babies and toddlers. Certainly the reason I nurse my three.

tabbyH Sun 05-Dec-10 17:46:31

Thanks everyone. I'm away again all week, so we'll have to see how we get on next weekend. I'm in no rush to stop. It's hard on Dd not seeing me and I hate it! Training will be finished soon though and I can go back to day job.

I'm still really pleased that we managed for this long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now