Talk

Advanced search

5week old BF baby, no poo since sunday 28th

(21 Posts)
Dozeyland Sat 04-Dec-10 14:02:04

help????

muriel76 Sat 04-Dec-10 14:17:23

Don't usually post on this board but just to say, my youngest did this when he was a baby. Can't remember how old but he was little, only having breast milk at that point.

He went 8/9 days without going, I was frantic but eventually he went and he needed a bath afterwards!! It went all the way up his back into his hair!!

Take your baby to the doc if you're worried. I did twice during the 'no poo zone' I think and they could not find anything wrong. The health visitor told me that sometimes BF baby don't produce much waste if the milk is very good quality, they just absorb it all and don't need to poo. I recall wanting to slap her at the time and felt utterly fobbed off, but just thought I would pass it on!

Try not to worry but get it checked out to be on the safe side.

MoonUnitAlpha Sat 04-Dec-10 14:20:06

It's true there is often very little waste with breastmilk, so not much to poo out - for an exclusively breastfed baby anything up to about 2 weeks can be normal.

Think you only need to worry if the baby is in pain or their stomach is hrad or distended.

muriel76 Sat 04-Dec-10 14:22:22

Oh really MUA?? There you go then, the HV was talking sense after all!

I think I was just so worried at the time that nothing anyone said was right, I just wanted him to poo!!!

And eventually he did and it was more of a relief for me than him!

Mumsnut Sat 04-Dec-10 14:35:01

My ds always went 8 days or so and then there was a poo tsunami. Brace yourself.

MoonUnitAlpha Sat 04-Dec-10 14:36:59

I'd read about breastfed babies going 10 days between poos and was looking forward to so few nappy changes, but my ds poos at least twice, sometimes five or six times a day. I feel very hard done grin

Dozeyland Sat 04-Dec-10 15:00:22

Oh!

Yeah i mean she's ok but seems unsettled at times. strains when feeding and wakes herself up straining.

Thandeka Sat 04-Dec-10 15:15:54

Mumsnut- you mean a poonami right? or poomageddon or poopocalype. All of which I have been known to wait for.

My DD's longest was 9days. Then it was such a measly effort on the 9th day I actually disappointed!

Mumsnut Sat 04-Dec-10 15:25:17

All of them, Thandeka - together!

Dozeyland Mon 06-Dec-10 11:50:35

still no poo........

SlightlyTubbyHali Mon 06-Dec-10 11:54:15

It's fine as long as the baby doesn't seem in pain. DD1 went for well over 2 weeks once (for some reason I think it was 18 days). It was ace changing so few nappies.

Dozeyland Mon 06-Dec-10 12:51:27

She has a lot of wet nappies which is good. however they have a strongish smell.

Doc said normal?

And she passes a lot of wind and really strains sometimes, plus when feeding.

Mumsnut Thu 09-Dec-10 08:38:48

Anything?

Dozeyland Thu 09-Dec-10 14:08:40

No poo still........

Very bad wind down there though, the smell has gotten worse too so i think poo is soon to arrive, but when??????

she seems to want one.. not feeding for long either where she is so fukll i bet

help!

Mumsnut Thu 09-Dec-10 17:31:11

Good luck!

YorkshireTeaDrinker Thu 09-Dec-10 22:21:19

We are in a similar position. Our baby girl is 5 weeks tomorrow and there's been no poo since Sunday. Only 4 days so far, so I shouldn't be worrying too much yet (and this thread is such a relief - it's reassuring to know that this is normal) but she was producing several pooey nappies a day, so its a bit of an abrupt change. We're also seeing lots of straining and very smelly farts, but apart from that she doesn't seem too distressed.

I hope the poonami arrives for you soon, Dozeyland.

Dozeyland Thu 09-Dec-10 22:38:48

Poonami arrived!

GeekLove Thu 09-Dec-10 22:47:32

I am not sure that this would be the wisest thing to do but whenever our then-BF DS swallowed any water at that age there was a corresponding poo within minutes. There were a couple of bathtimes terminated as a result of that. BTW my DS record was 6 days.

YummmyMummy Fri 10-Dec-10 11:59:39

My DS used to poo about once a week! He was mostly breastfed and had the occasional bottle of formula (maybe twice a week). As long as they seem comfortable and are feeding as normal then I wouldn't worry too much.

I spoke to my HV about it and she suggested that he may be lactose intolerant (although this was mostly based on the fact he had VERY smelly wind). She suggested we use Colief with every feed. I bought the bottle, and never got around to using it.

He's 8 months old now and still doesn't go every single day but it slowly got more commone (more so when we started weaning and weaning onto formula at 6 months).

Like all things. You know best and if you're worried something isn't right speak to HV. I wouldn't panic though.

Mumsnut Sat 11-Dec-10 19:28:39

Have you finished cleaning up yet grin?

YorkshireTeaDrinker Sun 12-Dec-10 10:09:05

We got our poonami (after a week of waiting) yesterday. Had to bath DD afterwards - poo was everywhere). Thanks to this thread I was a lot less worried than I could have been. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now