Talk

Advanced search

week old baby: have I had time to get thrush?

(10 Posts)
Nagoo Fri 03-Dec-10 21:34:55

DD is week old today.

today I've started to get a stabbing pain through my left breast, it happens randomly and fairly frequently (every 5-10 mins sometimes)and only lasts a second, I don't get it while I'm feeding her.

It really hurts!

Having searched on here it seems that it is a symptom of thrush, and she has got a white coating on her tongue which I only noticed this morning.

Have we got thrush?

Nagoo Fri 03-Dec-10 21:35:28

meant to add that everyone whose threads I read had much older babies.

theyoungvisiter Fri 03-Dec-10 21:39:29

DS2 developed thrush at one week - I think it's not uncommon in new babies as they can pick it up while being born.

Get her seen asap because if it IS thrush, aside from the discomfort to you, it can really affect their feeding - DS stopped pooing and putting on weight until we had it treated.

DreamingofFour Fri 03-Dec-10 21:43:37

I got thrush at one week, couldn't see it on (very sore and cracked) nipples but his entire tongue was coated in white - started on canestan cream (for me) and I think nystatin drops (it was a few years ago) and it cleared up very quickly. I would get this seen to asap too - at the very least do it tomorrow morning. Don't suffer all weekend

TruthSweet Fri 03-Dec-10 22:24:17

It can happen early if you have had anti-biotics recently or if you are prone to thrush in other areas of your body.

There is some great info here about thrush and nipple pain. Hopefully that will help you work out if it is thrush. If you think it is, print out the leaflet to take with you to the Dr in case you have an odd one who thinks pain is part and parcel of bfing (there are some interesting HCPs out there grin)

harecare Fri 03-Dec-10 22:26:03

Yes. Get treatment asap. Cutting out sugar can help.

FourEyesGood Fri 03-Dec-10 22:49:35

My two week old DD and I struggled through the snow to get to the doctor yesterday because feeding was so painful and I had to do something about it. It's thrush (think I had it almost from day one, as feeding her has always hurt; I assumed it was something I'd just get the hang of eventually, like I did with DS - it never occurred to me that it might be thrush until I was idly flicking through the Bounty book and read about the symptoms), and we're both on Daktarin miconazole cream. It already seems to be working, which is a blessed relief, as I was thoroughly miserable (and very sore).

In short, get it treated!

Nagoo Sat 04-Dec-10 08:43:41

I have phoned the doctor this morning.

Kind me expecting to get short shrift though as there is nothing to see, apart from baby's white tongue. My nipples are looking fine (i'm a latch fascist grin )

They're ringing me back in a bit.

LaTristesse Sat 04-Dec-10 08:56:45

Make sure you both get treatment though, even if one of you shows no signs, or you'll just keep passing it back and forth. Don't be fobbed off with being told baby's white tongue is milk stain...

Nagoo Sat 04-Dec-10 12:54:29

thanks everyone, I've got a prescription for her (and they faxed it through to Tesco so I don't have to go to next town to pick it up smile).

They want me to wait and see in case it is just the spasms of the milk coming through before they will prescribe me anything, and actually it is feeling better than yesterday. (they did give me a word for that but I've got CRAFT (Can't Remember a Fing Thing)) However if I get any increased pain then I'll get back to them.

Thank you.

Also, cutting out sugar is hard... I didn't realise how many times a day I want to eat a biscuit smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: