Talk

Advanced search

Colic - is there a support thread? can anyone help me please.

(6 Posts)
TeaDr1nker Fri 03-Dec-10 13:09:11

DS is now 5 weeks old, this week started to develop 'colicky symptoms', have been to Dr who confirms this and we ave started to use Colief in the formula.

Last night at each feed DS would only take an ounce each feed, then went to sleep after crying that awful high pitched cry,bringing his legs up etc etc.

How long does Colief take to work or is it instant? Also DS is on C&G formula, i see that there is one by Heinz that says it is for colicy babies, does anyone have any experience of this, or is it more of a gimic?

Any other 'top tips' would be grately appreciated as i really want to enjoy DS but right now it's really hard (

Catilla Fri 03-Dec-10 13:16:22

Infacol.

You put a couple of drops straight into their mouth before a feed, and it helps bubbles to coalesce and come to the top as a big burp.

Tummy massage and bicycling legs can help, also laying him on his tummy across your lap and rubbing back - I found this easier than rubbing the tummy itself.

If formula feeding you should also make sure the milk fills the teat so he takes no air in, and experiment with his position, ie. more reclined or more upright - which might make a difference.

TeaDr1nker Fri 03-Dec-10 13:37:49

Meant to be

Have tried Infacol, will go back to it and try again!!!

eddy26 Sat 04-Dec-10 10:42:00

hey there

i sympathise. DD (2 wk 3 days) has wind problems and seems to be in a lot of discomfort a lot of the time esp after feeding. i dont seem to be able to bring up the wind despite rubbing, patting etc for what feels like hours and the crying and the p[ained look on her face makes me also feel . who knew that winding would be so difficult? our health visitor recommended infacol, which, though i am nervous of tempting fate, does seem to be working. she does at least have the odd burp now and seems to be in less pain. apparently the effects are accumulative so the longer you use it the more effective it becomes so we were told not to expect immediate results. our health visitor also suggested giving the drops 15 mins before a feed to which i laughed heartily on the inside. no such luck here. feeding times are as random as roulette. but it might be worth a try if you can.

good luck and i hope it gets better for you soon.

eddyxxx

ps if you find the answer let me know!

TheUnmentioned Sat 04-Dec-10 10:43:56

colocynth granules!!

also try a dummy, its worked wonders for dd, she was a nightmare in the evenings from 2-6/7 weeks. she is 10 weeks now and much better

stickersarecurrency Sat 04-Dec-10 10:48:27

Try lots of carrying throughout the day - a good sling like a Kari Me or Moby might help you do this comfortably. This achieves three things IMO - reassurance, helps them bring up any wind, and lets them nap easily (I found overtiredness played a big part in the severity of and period of time spent crying). Babies who are carried more cry less, this has been proven.

You have my sympathy - my first had terrible colic and would cry from 4pm every night. It was exhausting and miserable.

On the plus side, he's now a charming, delightful 3 year old and it's all a distant memory

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now