Talk

Advanced search

BF DS dropping centiles HV sa give him formula

(21 Posts)
lifeistooshort Thu 02-Dec-10 18:59:17

DS is 18 weeks, exclusively BF but is slowly loosing centiles. He was born on the 75th, was just under the 50th at his 8/9 weeks check. He is now just under the 25th centile. I have lost quite a lot of weight since he was born and am back to my prepregnancy weight. I am 100% not dieting, but I guess with three children and a lot on, perhaps I do not eat or rest enough.

The HV recommended formula but I am not keen as I don't want to mess my supply. She also recommended early weaning (not to keen either).

DS is a very happy and content baby who is settled and sleepwell. He is a slow feeder though.

Any suggestions as I really am not keen on formula and early weaning. DH is already pressurising me to do so.

TruthSweet Thu 02-Dec-10 19:22:29

Is DS gaining weight or losing weight (not %ile lines but actual bodily weight)? If he is gaining weight how much each month/week?

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 02-Dec-10 20:10:10

Mine is almost exactly the same! Was born on the 75th, followed the 50th for a while and now just under the 25th (8lb6oz at birth, now 13lb something at 17 weeks). HV hasn't mentioned it as a problem though - he is gaining weight and seems content and healthy. I think he was just born bigger than he was supposed to be - I'm only 5'1" so if he takes after me he won't be big.

crikeybadger Thu 02-Dec-10 21:32:41

It's a bit rubbish that the only suggestions the HV could come up with were early weaning and formula hmm

You don't need to worry about lack of food or rest affecting your milk supply - your baby will take what he needs from you.

Maybe giving a call to one of the bf helplines could put your mind at rest or give you some other suggestions.

lifeistooshort Thu 02-Dec-10 21:35:14

TruthSweet. He is gaining weight but went from about 5.74 kg at 10 weeks to 6.42 at 18.

Moon Unit, that is interesting because I think the same about my DS. He was quite big as was 10 days overdue, but I don't think he was meant to be so big

crikeybadger Thu 02-Dec-10 21:39:29

Being born big can mean that he was just well nourished by your placenta lifeistooshort.

lifeistooshort Thu 02-Dec-10 21:40:31

crikeybadger that is what I thought too. I looked on kellymum and one thing they advised was to REDUCE solids, not introduce them! I wonder if he has a latch problem as I have had mastitis 4 times and very often some pain when feeding. Never had that with my others

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 02-Dec-10 21:42:40

Looking in my red book, at 11 weeks DS was 5.6kg and at 16 weeks he was 6.14kg, so similar to yours.

I've read somewhere (on here I think!) that birth weight is more an indication of how good the pregnancy was rather than what they're meant to be. I was only 12lbs at 3 months and 18lbs at 12 months when I was a baby.

Is there anything other than weight gain slowing that is worrying the HV? Does your DS seem healthy otherwise, is he feeding well?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 02-Dec-10 21:43:32

Is this not what is called 'catch-down growth'?

DS was born on the 75th (10 days overdue too). He lost a lot of weight and dropped to just below the 9th, and then over the next 4 months gradually climbed to the 50th. He now sits just below the 50th .

crikeybadger Thu 02-Dec-10 21:45:13

That's a lot of mastitis life in 18 weeks.

Did you get antibiotics for it? Did you get a long enough course to knock it on the head?

Could you get to a bf ing support group so that someone can check your latch?

YoginiBikini Thu 02-Dec-10 21:48:07

Continue you as you are doing. you're doing great! Not everyone can be 'average' size as an adult. Some of us are small, some large. I wonder what centile I would be on?

If your baby is happy and feeding well, relax

TruthSweet Thu 02-Dec-10 21:52:53

So thats 680g in 8eeks or 85g/3oz a week. After 16 weeks you would expect weigh gain to slow down in a bf baby so maybe he's just early at slowing down.

Or equally it could be 'catch down growth' (a baby is born heavier due to good inter-uterine growth than his out in the world weight would be). There is a good NCT article here.

However as none of us have seen your baby and have no idea of how he is, is there a BF group you could go along to or could you call one of the BF helplines.

Have you ever tried breast compressions? They can be useful in encouraging a reluctant or slow feeder. It might be worth trying the once to see if that helps (or notgrin).

TruthSweet Thu 02-Dec-10 21:54:09

Oops cross posts with everyoneblush must type faster

lifeistooshort Thu 02-Dec-10 22:48:06

Yes I did get antibiotics at least three times. Thank you for all the information, I will definitely have a look at breat compression and catch down growth, I had never heard of that before. And yes I might go to the local breastfeeding group if I can find the time. REally appreciate your replies. My instinct is that he is fine, just a bit small don't want to start on formula and although he is interested in food, I would like to wait at least another month if not more before weaning.

onlyjuststillme Thu 02-Dec-10 23:06:58

My DD was FF (after the first few days) and she was exactly the same - born on a very high centile then slowley dropping centiles (while still gaining actual weight).

The amount of worry is directly related to the HV you see. I had me in floods of tears and panic whist another just said "The centile they are born on is not necessarily the same line they are meant to be on"

DD is now very healthy, very tall, very strong and VERY mobile at 19 months!!!

lifeistooshort Fri 03-Dec-10 10:49:50

Thank you all for the reassurance. There seem to be a breastfeeding support group this pm so I will try to drop by and get DS' latch checked as he is a slow feeder and I often get mastitis, blisters etc...which makes me think perhaps his latch is not the best. I think I will stick with it for at least another two weeks and try to improve his feeding technique beforeI consider anything else as he is very alert and healthy otherwise

crikeybadger Fri 03-Dec-10 10:53:27

That sounds like a good idea and I think you're right in thinking his latch could be improved. Or maybe a change in feeding position?

lifeistooshort Fri 03-Dec-10 13:41:05

grr so annoyed at the NHS. The HV and Mw were not picking up their phones so I couldn't confirm whether there was a drop in or not. No one was calling me back either. Eventually managed after a lot of tries to speak to MW and they didn't want me to go to the drop in, they said "try the NCT". Which I did by the way a counsellor is dropping by tomorrow but AIBU that no one in my local NHS is prepared to give appropriate advice re breastfeeding or to support a mum with BF problems just because the baby is not a newborn. AM really angry and shock

marzipananimal Fri 03-Dec-10 14:47:20

shock that's awful! I love the NHS but they do seem pretty crap wrt bf. I hope the counsellor you see is helpful

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 03-Dec-10 14:58:23

That's terrible! Hopefully the NCT lady will be able to help.

lifeistooshort Fri 03-Dec-10 15:17:11

I hope so too but no wonder so many people stop breastfeeding if that the sort of support you get

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: