Talk

Advanced search

Mixing stage 1 and hungry baby milk

(12 Posts)
VickstaS Thu 02-Dec-10 09:32:47

My 14 week old 91st percentile baby (currently 16 lb 13 oz) is drinking about 1.2 L of Aptimil 1 a day, and goes 2 to 3 hours between feeds during the day, sleeps through the night. I want to try and wean at 6 months rather than earlier, so want to swap him onto hungry baby milk. I think the best way to swap him onto hungry baby milk would be to gradually swap one spoon of Aptimil 1 for Aptimil 2 per feed, I.e he will be getting a mixture of 1 and 2, and then gradually increase the amount of 2 until he is drinking all 2. Is that the right thing to do - it seems sensible to me or should I just swap him over?

Marchpane Thu 02-Dec-10 09:37:45

Makes no difference really. The calorie content is pretty much the same. Hungry baby is slightly thicker.

Try it out and see what happens. Weaning onto puree won't do much. Fewer calories in them than milk. And he'll be going through a growth-spurt about now for next couple of weeks so he will feed more any way.

cherrybea Thu 02-Dec-10 09:42:24

I switched one bottle a day to stage 2 and then gradually increased it. No problems though she still doesn't sleep through

tiktok Thu 02-Dec-10 09:59:40

Call the manufacturers' helpline and check this is safe.

Sodium content of 'hungry baby' milk is higher. You'd be mixing the 'hungry baby milk' powder not with water but with water and stage one....a different solute mix.

Might be ok.

But you do need to check.

I bet they say 'no' - but you could mix the 'hungry baby milk' with water in a separate bottle and then add it to the made-up '1', I would think.

Marchpane Thu 02-Dec-10 10:11:07

Sorry just realised you're proposing mixing up two different types of formula for one bottle. Um no I don't think that's a good idea.

You should never mix formula in the preparation stages for the same reason you must always use the spoon that comes with the formula - because the volume of power to water ratios vary for each receipe.

You can mix prepared formula but please none of this a spoonful of one and then a spoonful of another business. It's potentially dangerous and the correct preparation instructions are very clearly laid out on the box.

VickstaS Thu 02-Dec-10 10:15:29

Tiktok, what I am currently doing is mixing 2 scoops hungry baby with 5 scoops stage 1 and making that up with 210 ml water. So not dissolving hungry baby milk in pre-made up formula as you thought - sorry that wasn't clear.
So currently the sodium level would be less than the amount that would be present if I was using all hungry baby milk.

VickstaS Thu 02-Dec-10 10:17:22

Marchpane, the amount of water per scoop is identical for both milks. Why is mixing the two potentially dangerous?

Marchpane Thu 02-Dec-10 10:22:09

Yes but is the scoop exactly the same size?

cherrybea Thu 02-Dec-10 10:25:25

Is this not massively over-complicating the issue? Just introduce one bottle of stage 2 a day and then increase as and when.

Seona1973 Thu 02-Dec-10 10:26:06

I'd just give a whole bottle of hungry milk - maybe swap 1 bottle each day over the course of a week or so (depending how many you give). It sounds a bit of a faff to mix the powders as you work from 2 different tubs and 2 different scoops.

tiktok Thu 02-Dec-10 10:33:36

Just call the manufacturers

You are going to get a better idea of safety from them, yes?

VickstaS Thu 02-Dec-10 10:37:40

Ok, I called the helpline. They said what I had done was fine, wasn't dangerous, but they would recommend one bottle at a time rather than what I was doing.

The reason I was doing it the mixing way was that I thought it would be a more gradual process as suddenly changing from one milk to another might cause problems.

I will stop the mixing and do one bottle a day as recommended by the manufacturers. Thanks for all the opinions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now