Talk

Advanced search

Breastmilk for sticky eye

(13 Posts)
Montifer Wed 01-Dec-10 22:32:59

DS2 (10 days old) has had sticky eyes for the last couple of days.

Saw midwife today who gave me some Normasol to clean them with.

If it doesn't clear before the weekend I'll contact GP for some prescription remedy.

I seem to think I have read somewhere that breastmilk on a cotton wool pad will help to clear it, but wanted to check before I go for it.

Have I made this up or will it work?

Please can anyone advise?

nobiggy Wed 01-Dec-10 22:35:28

It does seem to work. When I tried it I expressed a little bit into a bowl then put a drop in DD2's eyes with a pipette.

oneweemite Wed 01-Dec-10 22:35:52

I heard this too - you haven't made it up! A friend of mine who worked in rural India said it was fairly normal practice. Not sure if it'll help but it'll do no harm.

stickersarecurrency Wed 01-Dec-10 22:37:25

It definitely dissolves the gunk better than water.

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 00:00:44

Works a treat Either hand express it into a small dish and syringe it in, or express onto cotton wool and wipe.

missnevermind Thu 02-Dec-10 00:06:10

Lol
You lot are all nice and neat and polite.
I just squirted it in white I was feeding blush

EmmaBemma Thu 02-Dec-10 07:25:19

I did too, missnevermind! Worked a treat.

marzipananimal Thu 02-Dec-10 07:39:40

I dripped some in that i'd expressed then wiped away with cotton wool and cooled boiled water. Worked perfectly

mortifiedeveryday Thu 02-Dec-10 07:52:11

Yip Ive done it with both kids, worked a treat.

megonthemoon Thu 02-Dec-10 07:53:41

another impolite squirter here, missnevermind

Montifer Fri 03-Dec-10 23:26:32

Thanks all, couldn't quite manage a squirt but did dribble some into his eyes and wipe with cotton wool.
Seems to have mostly cleared up the stickiness already.
I love the magic of breastmilk grin

DancingThroughLife Sat 04-Dec-10 20:31:27

I did too missnevermind.

I think this was the first thing that absolutely sealed the deal for DH that bf was the way.

You might have to do it another couple of times to get all of it OP, but I'm glad it's worked so far smile

MotherMountainGoat Sat 04-Dec-10 20:38:21

Breastmilk works for everything. It's got unbelievable antibiotic qualities. We used it for nappy rash on both of them, and 'DD2's milk' got used on DD1's knee when she fell over, etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: