Talk

Advanced search

Cracked nipple - advice needed

(2 Posts)
AmeliaEarhart Wed 01-Dec-10 22:18:39

Help!

My baby is 4 weeks old and my right nipple is completely knackered; really big deep cracks due to bad latching. The supporter at my breast feeding group advised me to continue feeding on that side and not to use a shield, so I'm dosing up on paracetamol and gritting my teeth through each feed. I'm bathing the nipple and applying lansinoh afterwards.

Is there any risk to my baby? I don't think the nipple is infected but it looks a bit scabby at times. Is there anything I can do to help it to heal faster?

Also, I'm starting to wonder if I also have thrush. My breast feels sore and achy between feeds, but I'm not sure if this is just because of the poorly nipple.

LaTristesse Thu 02-Dec-10 07:57:25

It sounds to me like your breast pain is down to the poor latch - wwork on getting this sorted. (IME thursh feels more like sharp breast pain - razor blades than the ache you describe).

In the meantime, keep feeding, and get lashings of Lansinoh on it whenever you can. It will pass, even though it feels terrible - take it one feed at a time, and be good to yourself... Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now