Talk

Advanced search

my local co-op has sma on a christmas special offer. is this legal?

(37 Posts)
eragon Wed 01-Dec-10 22:11:37

and why did they pick it to be a christmas special?

huge pile of tins, with a christmas special offer on them.

just felt a bit weird to me.

PaisleyLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 22:13:45

eh? Yes weird and I'm sure it's not legal.

toddlerwrangler Wed 01-Dec-10 22:14:38

If its follow on they can. Stage one then no.

Babies get hungry all year round, and money is tight at christmas, maybe that why they did it as a christmas thing?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 01-Dec-10 22:15:06

Which SMA is it though are you sure it isn't follow on milk (SMA has red lid I think)

edam Wed 01-Dec-10 22:15:09

No, it isn't, contact Baby Milk Action. Or Trading Standards.

toddlerwrangler Wed 01-Dec-10 22:21:41

Yes, it is if it is follow on!

Shallishanti Wed 01-Dec-10 22:25:49

I'm pretty sure that would be a breech of the code, if not follow on milk- if it is follow on milk, still a breach of the spirit of the code. Co-op are supposed to be an ethical retailer, very dissappointing, I would contact them direct. Is it the random act of a local manager?

MimsyRogers Wed 01-Dec-10 22:27:45

biscuit

PaisleyLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 22:28:02

Weren't Co-op checking in with us a few months ago?
(I think I remember filling in survey for them on here).

NoahAndTheWhale Wed 01-Dec-10 22:32:48

Depends if it is follow on milk or not.

SantasNutellaFairy Wed 01-Dec-10 22:36:44

If it's stage 3 then they can. A bit unethical though to be advertising formula at all

toddlerwrangler Wed 01-Dec-10 22:38:23

According to you it is, not to everyone.

TragicallyHip Wed 01-Dec-10 22:39:34

Depends on what stage formula it is

ledkr Wed 01-Dec-10 22:54:08

I have just bought my first box of formula for my forthcoming baby and i couldnt believe how expensive it is. Always breast fed in the past but had a mastectomy so now cant.I would love to be able to find it at areduced price from time to time and didnt know it couldnt be although it makes sense as dont get boots points either. So dont forget that for many of us the choice to ff is nothing to do with a quid or two off the formula.

eragon Wed 01-Dec-10 23:18:41

i think formula should be a low price, it is , after all cows milk. (although thats gone up in price ..)

one brand isnt better than another.
they all do their job.

formula was made for exceptions like ledkr, and has saved babies lives, and so should be used.

formula feeding, if you follow the rules is hard work, and very expensive.
its not a easy option by any means.

SirBoobAlot Wed 01-Dec-10 23:33:07

It is expensive. But they're the rules <shrugs>

Very odd they have a christmas offer on baby milk, for goodness sakes. Boots have Follow On and Toddler Milk on offer at the moment, couldn't believe the number of intelligent looking people I saw eyeing the stand up <face palm>.

mousesma Thu 02-Dec-10 07:18:48

i know follow on milk etc. is no better than normal formula but if your baby is over 6 months and it would be a lot cheaper to buy it than normal formula because of the offer then I don't follow why you think people are stupid to want to save a bit of money.

EmmaBemma Thu 02-Dec-10 07:36:28

Same, mousesma. Follow-on formula is cheaper than stage one even when there isn't an offer on, so I'm not sure how it's stupid to buy it, given that cow's milk isn't supposed to be a main drink until after a year? Also, my oldest daughter didn't like the taste of (unpowdered!) cow's milk on its own at first, so she had toddler milk as a morning drink until she was about 18 months or something. It also doesn't work out any more expensive than fresh milk.

Much as I hate to question someone's little frisson of superiority, natch. And not that this has anything to do with the main point of the thread.

PfftTheMagicDragon Thu 02-Dec-10 08:05:34

eragon, I don't think that anyone is saying FF is the easy option. However, I think that it can feel like that when you are struggling with BF - people telling you to just switch - you will get more sleep, they will gain more weight, no feeding all the time. It is certainly touted as the easy option. Thing is, until you get into it and there is no going back (of course, for those that have the choice) you don't realise how hard work it is, sleeping doesn't change, making bottles up and carrying them around.

It is illegal to advertise infant formula (stage 1) and stating this, or agreeing with it does not mean that one is making a value judgement on FF.

toddlerwrangler Thu 02-Dec-10 09:08:38

PfftTheMagicDragon - It is illegal to advertise infant formula (stage 1) and stating this, or agreeing with it does not mean that one is making a value judgement on FF.

Very true and very sensible. However making <palm slap> abd 'this is immoral and unetcal' type comments, in my opinion are!

Some women NEED formula and is is very expensive (you all know this as ou often tout it s one of the reasons to BF!). Please, those that are fortunate enough to have managed to BF, don't begrudge us the opportinity to sve a bit of cash just because it (apparently) goes against something you believe in!

toddlerwrangler Thu 02-Dec-10 09:11:45

That should say 'in my opinion, are making judgement'!

MimsyRogers Thu 02-Dec-10 09:13:29

I guess that sirboobalot thinks people who buy follow on milk are stupid.

PfftTheMagicDragon Thu 02-Dec-10 10:21:12

Toddler - I agree that formula is expensive, and there is no need for it to be. I agree that comments about the ethics of advertising are emotive and are used as judgements, but I do think that there is a sensible argument for how advertising formula is not entirely ethical. I think that the adverts that I see for follow on milk push the boundaries (mainly the bullshit boundaries, but hey). But this subject seems to be so fraught that there is no space for a calm and rational debate.

Flossie69 Thu 02-Dec-10 11:23:36

If it is the stage 1, I shall be asking DH to hot foot it round to our local Co-op to get some before they withdraw the offer grin

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 11:38:18

It may be cheaper, but it was purely invented for formula companies to get around the advertising laws. Its supposedly nutritionally superior - in the same way Aptimil is supposedly closest to breastmilk hmm - IE, it demeans breastfeeding (like that bloody Cow And Gate advert) and also convinces parents that they are not capable of maintaining a healthy diet for their child without an unessential product.

I wouldn't say everyone who buys it is stupid, but I would say those who buy it thinking that it is their only / best option are naive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: