Talk

Advanced search

Hand expressing

(7 Posts)
AngelDog Wed 01-Dec-10 21:42:29

Does anyone know of any good videos showing you how to do it?

I've read lots of instructions but have never managed to get anything out.

'Twas a bit of a problem on my first day back at work after maternity leave when I discovered my pump had packed up. hmm

I went to our local bf cafe, but the lady running it didn't have much of a clue, just gave me another set of instructions.

AnyFuleSno Wed 01-Dec-10 21:44:30

I don't know of any vids, but my HV showed me on her own (clothed) boob grin

It's tempting to try and describe but I won't if you've already heard lots of instructions

blueberryboybait Wed 01-Dec-10 21:51:02

here I watched it without the sound and figured it out - hope it helps!

AngelDog Wed 01-Dec-10 21:51:47

grin

Something seems to be happening in that my breast went from feeling full to plain engorged last time I tried it. Just no milk appearing. hmm

MrsPickles Wed 01-Dec-10 21:55:18

Have you tried doing it in the bath, or putting a warm flannel over your boob first. A good way to practice is get your baby latched on one side, propped up on a cushion so you can have both hands free and then try expressing from the other boob. You will find it much easier than usual as your baby will have already got your let down going. Then once you've successfully been able to do it like that, hopefully you will have had a good practice with the technique and should be able to do it without baby latched on the other side. If your baby is there, look at him/her, if not then look at a picture. I sort of give my boob a little pleasurable massage to start off with, not to get the milk flowing but just to relax it and me before I start going with the milk. Remember all the milk ducts are in your boob, not round your nipple, so really massage the boob in the direction of your nipple, you don't really need to squeeze near the nipple at all.
Hope you can get it going soon.

MrsPickles Wed 01-Dec-10 21:59:45

Can I just say that I just watched the video blueberryboybait linked to and I don't do it like that at all! I slide my fingers over the whole breast, I don't squeeze near the nipple at all and can't get much milk out like that (just tried). There is a bit in the video where she says don't slide your fingers over the breast as it might cause skin friction burns - that is the movement I do and have never got friction burns! So may just go to show there are a few different techniques and it is worth trying different things to see what works for you.

AngelDog Thu 02-Dec-10 21:40:10

Thanks for the replies - I'll have a look. When I had a blocked duct, massage in the bath helped, so I'll give that a go. MrsPickles, I had similar advice from the midwives about not damaging the skin, but they recommended using oil on it so you can still slide your fingers with no danger of burns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: