Talk

Advanced search

Blocked duct, dr wants to send me for a scan - very scared!

(5 Posts)
srv Wed 01-Dec-10 19:12:34

I have had recurrent bouts of mastitis and a blocked milk duct in my breast for about five months. I think the blockage might be right at the end of the duct - actually on my nipple because there is a small white spot there. Sometimes feeding my daughter clears it but not tonight so I have tried expressing by hand and clear liquid and blood is coming from that part of my nipple.

Last time I went to the doctor she said that if it happened again she would probably send my for an ultrasound to "find out what the blockage is" and I have just gotten into an uncontrollable panic. Please can someone tell me whether this is normal and put my mind at rest. There's no way this could be breast cancer is there?

slipperthief Wed 01-Dec-10 19:40:43

Ouch. I'm sure it'll all turn out to be fine - if it clears sometimes it'll probably just turn out to be something annoying but harmless. Is your DD your first? How many times have you had the mastitis? I have a friend who it recurred for for her DC3 only, all fine, nothing sinister.

Have you been back to the doctor? Do you have a scan booked? Sounds like it would put your mind at rest.

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 01-Dec-10 20:00:01

If the mastitis keeps recurring, is the doctor giving you a long enough course of anti-biotics? There was a thread here a little while ago from someone who had had recurrent bouts because the GP was prescribing 7 days when it needed to be at least 10 days (iirc!).

srv Wed 01-Dec-10 20:05:20

Thannk you for the replies. This is my second child - breast fed son and it was all fine. I've had the mastitis three times (fever, nausea etc) but the blocked duct at least 4 or 5 times. Have it now and am just so fed up with being in pain! I'm going to have to go back to the doctor tomorrow morning I think, but am just so frightened at what she'll say.

I've had a couple of 7 day courses but last time (about 6 weeks ago) I hade 14 day course of two different antibiotics so I don't think that's the problem. I think the thing is that there is something blocking a duct and the scary thing is whether it is sinister or not.

Thank you so much for the replies.

slipperthief Wed 01-Dec-10 20:12:29

Hope it eases off soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: