Talk

Advanced search

Defrosted EBM tastes horrible

(9 Posts)
MrsAlwaysRight Wed 01-Dec-10 10:51:55

I have defrosted a couple of bags of expressed milk and although they seem to smell ok they taste disgusting!

This has happened on a number of occasions and having googled I wonder if it could be due to high levels of lipase in milk causing it to break down quickly.

It says to heat the milk and scorch it before storing to help prevent the problem.

Has anyone had same problem? Have you tried scorching the milk and did it make a difference?

Stressing out as due to leave DD2 for about 36 hours in a few weeks and worried she won't have any edible milk!!

TIA

leafinthewind Wed 01-Dec-10 10:54:26

My frozen milk always tasted awful. I stopped freezing it - sorry, that's no help at all! My DD never took a bottle anyway, so it rapidly became a moot point. For any future DC, I've resolved not to mind about occasional formula.

barkfox Wed 01-Dec-10 11:35:24

I had this problem - I defrosted milk that was over 2 months old to start with, and it smelt and tasted vile (a mixture of just 'off' and also an odd paintstripper/solvent type smell).

Then I panicked and started working through my freezer stash, and it was only the milk frozen within the last ten days that smelt and tasted okay.

I was really gutted, and read about the lipase levels, same as you. But in any case, I bought a new fridge/freezer, as mine was old, and after putting the bath thermometer in the fridge section, I realised it might not be firing on all cylinders anyway, and the freezer section not freezing well enough.

In the new freezer, milk over a month old has been absolutely fine. I haven't any older milk to test yet.

So only practical advice I have is to check how cold your freezer is, and see if there's a difference between a very recent batch of frozen milk, and an older one.

I did read other stuff (on MN? Can't remember) about frozen milk tasting weird, but babies not minding. I decided mine tasted so vile, I wasn't 'testing' DS with it.

I also decided that I wasn't going to have a huge 'archive' of old frozen milk, but would rotate stock, so there was never anything over 2 weeks old in there. Partly so I didn't risk going out and leaving an 'off' bottle for DS, but also because if boob milk is so marvellously attuned to my baby's needs at various stages, then I wondered if it wasn't ideal feeding 2 month milk to a 4 month old, IYSWIM.

Sorry I can't be more help, I know it's very disappointing when you see there's a problem with your freezer stash 'safety net.'

gateacre1 Wed 01-Dec-10 13:02:18

I had a similar problem with dd1
my expressed milk smelt fine, but once frozen and defrosted it smelt vile . I called La Leche and they said some women produce too much of a certain enzyme which breaks down the sugars in the breast milk into acids. She reccommended I boiled my EBM then cooled it before freezing ( to denature the enzymes)
I couldnt be bothered so I had a freezer full of useless milk!

bulby Wed 01-Dec-10 13:05:50

My daughter was always happy to drinkdefrostedmilk so assume it always tasted fine. Saying that she now eats anything so it's possible it had gone funny.

MrsAlwaysRight Thu 02-Dec-10 20:18:03

Thanks for the replies.

Think I am going to experiment with "scorching" before freezing and see if that makes any difference!

SlightlyTubbyHali Thu 02-Dec-10 20:22:44

My EBM reeked with DD2, like soap (having been fine with DD1).

I found that it was strongest when I had just defrosted it. It I waited a little while (30 mins or so) the smell vanished a couple of times. DD2 still wasn't much into it but then she thought EBM was an aberation anyway.

Can you pump like mad in the few days before you go away? EMB does last quite long in the fridge and it might be better if you are not freezing it.

MrsAlwaysRight Fri 03-Dec-10 12:40:24

SlightlyTubbyHali I did think about doing that but am slightly worried if I do that it will increase my supply and I may end up spending more of my time away pumping!

PartialToACupOfMilo Fri 03-Dec-10 22:28:02

I had this too and read about the scorching method, but also could never be bothered - especially as I wasn't really producing that much. Anyway dd didn't seem to mind, so we never did anything about it - lazy, I know blush

Have you tried your baby with it to see whether she actually minds? Is it you or her that thinks it tastes disgusting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now