Talk

Advanced search

I want a night out!

(12 Posts)
itsnotmorningyet Tue 30-Nov-10 20:23:19

DC3 is 6months. Been invited out for a christmas night out with some mums - really want to go but... DC3 randomly wakes, not always for milk (I have EBF not long started him on solids) often just for comfort, which I am fine with. Quite often bring him into bed with me & am happy to do so. He is my last DC so am really going with the flow. BUT I'm desperate to go on this night out, don;t want to do controlled crying but DO want to go out for the evening - feel incredibly selfish for wanting to go out, I have the rest of my life to go out whereas he is small for such a short time.
Not tried him with bottles or dummies and don't want to for the sake of one night. I'm being selfish aren't I?

rubyslippers Tue 30-Nov-10 20:24:33

No you arent being selfish

Do you have a partner that can comfort him?

itsnotmorningyet Tue 30-Nov-10 20:27:49

Yes but it is his works christmas night out too tho he has said he will cancel. Have a fab friend who will babysit (she was my birthing partner with DH) but hate the idea of DS waking up and me not being there. I think I am definitely being PLB (precious last born) as I wasn't like this with the other 2.
I've got 2 weeks to prepare - so what can I do?

itsnotmorningyet Tue 30-Nov-10 20:30:22

Not sure it will make a difference who is there for him because if he wakes he will just want me & my boob! So need to help him to not need it so much but at the same time i don't want to deny him something he obviously wants BUT i REALLY want to have an evening out!

rubyslippers Tue 30-Nov-10 20:33:01

TBH, if you are going to go and not relax then there is no point

But if you have a trusted carer who can deal with him for 2 - 3 hours then go for it

He may be comforted if he cant smell milk

SirBoobAlot Tue 30-Nov-10 20:53:45

Where is the night out? Could you arrange for it to be reasonably close by? If nothing else it might set your mind at ease knowing that you can get back quickly if needed.

Feed DS, make sure he is as full and as wind-free as you can get him, then go, enjoy yourself, keep your mobile on, and have money for a taxi in your purse if you need to head back sooner than you thought.

Not selfish at all Just remember that you're leaving him with someone who can take care of him, and who you trust, and they will be able to cope whatever happens!

thesecondcoming Tue 30-Nov-10 20:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeanutButter99 Tue 30-Nov-10 21:04:41

DS is 20 weeks old. I find that if I'm there he wants my boob and nothing else will do. But if I'm not there then it's easy for whoever is looking after him to settle him. He'll be fine if he can't sense you near by. You need your space and relaxation too Have fun.

rubyslippers Tue 30-Nov-10 21:07:20

Just remembered, I had to work when DD was 6.5 months old and EBF

She was still having a 10 pm feed

DH was prepared for hell on earth and in the end she was pretty cross but after a lot of cuddling and shushing he put her back down and after one last cry she went back to sleep until 4 am without a feed

DH said it was less than 20 mins all in all

itsnotmorningyet Tue 30-Nov-10 21:24:28

The night out is arranged close to home & I could be home within 10mins if needed. I totally trust my friend who would be babysitting.
I just feel incredibly selfish when I know I have the rest of my life to go out but he is so small for such a short time. I hate the thought of him crying for me - but agree - if my boob is not on offer he will probably settle for my friend fairly easy!
I DO need this night out so badly and fingers crossed I will be able to report back that I was worrying for nothing!

itsnotmorningyet Tue 30-Nov-10 21:26:32

Is there anything I can do in the 2 weeks leading me up to leaving him that will make it easier?

Woodlands Tue 30-Nov-10 22:20:51

I've got a 19 week old who won't settle without the boob and am planning one night out and two lunches out without him (DH babysitting for the evening, my dad for one lunch and my mum for the other). Tough! I'm sure he'll be fine, and your baby will as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: