Talk

Advanced search

no poo since i can remember, more than 2 weeks

(12 Posts)
porcamiseria Tue 30-Nov-10 17:26:40

baby is nearly 3 months and is ebf. should i worry. he is pretty happy but his farts are horrendous. my gut says he is ok but it is a long time....

RJandA Tue 30-Nov-10 18:29:46

I have heard this is possible, but if it was me I would check with GP or HV.

MoonUnitAlpha Tue 30-Nov-10 19:07:22

2 weeks is at the upper limit of normal I think - I'd probably take him to the doctor too.

pooka Tue 30-Nov-10 19:10:39

2weeks is a long time. Definitely get him checked by a doctor.

duchesse Tue 30-Nov-10 19:12:54

Are you sure DH hasn't changed a pooey one without telling you?

Surely he must be about to do one if not, especially if the farts are serious. I think I might be tempted to take him to the doc's though anyway, just so that they can have a listen with a stethoscope. Can you hear activity if you stick your ear to his tummy?

EnnisDelMar Tue 30-Nov-10 19:25:15

I think I remember having moments like this in the very early days, when I just imagined there had been no poos for like a month, beause I just couldn't remember anything. I didn't know what day it was half the time.

If he seems well in himself don't fret - but get him seen to in case there is a problem.

Not sure about the wind issue.

LunaticFringe Tue 30-Nov-10 19:32:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OopsDoneItAgain Tue 30-Nov-10 19:37:15

My bf baby went that long with no poo, repeatedly. The thoery is that breast milk is very digestible so not much is expelled. It settled down when he went on to solids, but see HV or doc if worried eg if baby seems uncomfortable.

WhatsWrongWithYou Tue 30-Nov-10 19:48:16

DD and DS2 used to get like this - but they were clearly (and vocally!) uncomfortable.
With DD, I spoke to the HV who gave her usual couldn't-care-less shrug, which I think she thought was a way of reassuring, and trotted out the line that whatever pattern a bf baby's bowels follow is normal.
We ploughed on, and I was resigned to carrying a change of clothes everywhere for the spectacular events.
Plus I had to walk her round a lot while she cried with discomfort.

When DS2 started to show the same pattern, I took him to the gp who was very sympathetic. She recommended half a soft pessary when he got to extremes - but tbh, as soon as DH touched him with it we had explosive results.
I think I only used them twice as things seemed to get moving soon after that.

Sorry my editing gene has switched off tonight - but the upshot is, see your gp if your baby is uncomfortable, or try applying a gentle amount of pressure at the top of the crease to see if that helps.

porcamiseria Wed 01-Dec-10 13:04:20

thanks all. my gut feeling is he is OK but will check with HV tomorrow

TitianTinselTemptress Wed 01-Dec-10 13:12:43

"breast milk is very digestible so not much is expelled" - wish that was the case with my DD, she went through a phase of doing an enormous poo every four days, we were always on tenterhooks on day 4 waiting for it to arrive and she invariably managed to do it while in the car seat for maximum oozing! Lunatic I feel your pain, we have had a few shower jobs grin

OP I hope she poos soon, am sure she is fine - maybe buy in some extra wipes in readiness!

porcamiseria Thu 02-Dec-10 09:53:35

he pood, all good! goes to show my instincts were right !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: