Talk

Advanced search

Would you give EBM to children after self-weaning?

(18 Posts)
stickersarecurrency Tue 30-Nov-10 16:23:05

I've just been pondering this because poor DS (3) has been ill on and off for 3 weeks. He's not eating much and is generally run down I think. And I'm sitting here with a few oz of EBM which DD is steadfastly refusing as long as it comes in a bottle. It's destined to go down the drain .

Would you give it to your sick child, even if they'd given up feeding over a year ago?

blueberryboybait Tue 30-Nov-10 16:25:38

If he will take it the nwhy not. DD1 had a little BM the other day after DD2 had fed (DD1 stopped feeding in Feb), got a mouthful, gagged and retched, then politely proclaimed to DH - That is really disgusting!

rubyslippers Tue 30-Nov-10 16:26:15

mix it with food

would hate to waste it

Doobies Tue 30-Nov-10 16:28:41

It will do him the world of good.

Fernie3 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:34:38

i have been trying to get my 4 month old to take expressed milk wich she has so far refused. My 1 year old is happy to take it off her given half a chance and it seems silly to waste it given the amount of effort ot takes tp get it!

stickersarecurrency Tue 30-Nov-10 16:34:53

It does seem daft to chuck it. I have to be very careful with expressing as I already have oversupply, so having this wee monkey refuse it is maddening. I shall persevere, but it would be nice to still be able to support poor DS while he's ill. Times like this I'd be happy if he was still BFing.

LadyViper Tue 30-Nov-10 16:37:55

I think that sounds like a great idea.

AgainMarjorie Tue 30-Nov-10 16:41:18

yy do give it to him. DD loved to have my milk when I was feeding DS, I think it made her feel included. It certainly seemed to do her good when she was ill.

Strangely, once I'd finished feeding DS she wasn't at all interested in it (even if i didn't tell her it was mine).

lagrandissima Tue 30-Nov-10 16:42:41

Sounds like a good idea. My friend gives her toddler some of the baby's EBM if he is run down.

stickersarecurrency Tue 30-Nov-10 16:52:30

I just warmed it a bit more and gave it to him in a cup without saying anything to him. "Good", he said after downing it in one, "all better now." grin

AgainMarjorie Tue 30-Nov-10 16:57:17

grin great.

stickersarecurrency Tue 30-Nov-10 18:58:53

He told DP he was feeling "much better" - when DP asked him what made him feel better he said "the milky drink". How cool is that?!

rubia Tue 30-Nov-10 19:24:06

hardly ever post but that really made me smile!

organiccarrotcake Tue 30-Nov-10 23:34:12

I give EBM to my 6 year old all the time.

coldcomfortHeart Wed 01-Dec-10 08:47:27

I remember reading a similar thread on here ages ago with a mum who was going to put some in a hot chocolate for her older DC!

General consensus on that thread was that it certainly wouldn't hurt and might help, so to go for it.

moonstorm Wed 01-Dec-10 11:36:05

It is much more logical to give your ds human ebm than milk from a cow (by the way I love cow's milk). Glad he enjoyed it!!

BaggedandTagged Wed 01-Dec-10 11:40:35

my friend's husband puts it on his cornflakes (no word of a lie)

megonthemoon Wed 01-Dec-10 11:44:43

I've never thought of this before, but what a great idea! Shall bear it in mind if DS is ever ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now