Talk

Advanced search

Is vomiting a side-affect of having a cold, or something more sinister?

(4 Posts)
dairymoo Tue 30-Nov-10 13:49:44

My 3 week old DD is feeding well (EBF), roughly every 2 hours but essentially on demand so sometimes more often, sometimes less. She's had a cold for about a week but seems to be over the worst of it. However, she's been left with a cough which sounds horrific at times, like she's retching and trying to cough up mucous, etc. Since having the cold, and the cough, she's been vomiting (sometimes projectile) a few times a day, and also sometimes lets out little shrieks whilst she' asleep. When she's shrieking she looks in pain, and then goes straight back to sleep again.

I'm just wondering whether these symptoms are part and parcel of a newborn cold, or whether she's suffering from reflux. FWIW, she's generally a happy content little thing, rarely cries, and sleeps pretty well, both day and night. It's just the coughing and then sickiness that is quite distressing to watch.

The GP has checked her chest over and said it's clear, but I don't know whether I should revisit and ask about the retching and being sick.

NinkyNonker Tue 30-Nov-10 15:00:01

4 month old dd is doing exactly the same. Had her checked out yesterday, nurse said the heavy coughing triggers her gag reflex when she is full. She only seems to do it at night after a big feed, I suspect a little goes down the wrong way and triggers it.

Hope someone comes along with some more experienced input for you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Nov-10 15:38:16

How is her feeding, can she feed ok Dairy?

dairymoo Tue 30-Nov-10 20:16:56

Thanks NinkyNonker - that sounds like it could be the problem. JiltedJohnsJulie - her feeding is fine, which is why I'm not massively worried, just more concerned I suppose.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: