Talk

Advanced search

No poo since Saturday night.

(26 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Tue 30-Nov-10 10:33:47

Hi,

The title says it all really, my 6 week old baby hasn't pooed since Saturday night (it was a very big one though!) and that was after 48 hours of not pooing. She farts a lot, and sometimes this upsets her so I think she is in a bit of discomfort today. I am mixed feeding her.
The health visitor is coming tomorrow and I have just realised that the pram is in the back of the car which my husband has taken to work so I can't get to the dr or anything. Will she be alright til tomorrow?

Any advice?

Mozismyhero Tue 30-Nov-10 11:11:29

No advice I'm afraid, but we'll keep a look out for any responses as our eight day old DS hasn't done a pooh since early Sunday morning.

NoTeaForMe Tue 30-Nov-10 11:28:35

Anyone?

samm2 Tue 30-Nov-10 11:33:24

Hi, I have read that breastfed babies can go up to a week without pooing! Not sure if its the same if you're mix feeding. My 5 week old baby sometimes jumps at the sound of her own farts, she strains and sometimes cries a lot when passing a poo. It helps if I hold her lightly and stroke her back. Perhaps you could call the health visitor for advice over the phone or an earlier visit?

Icantbelieveitsnotbitter Tue 30-Nov-10 11:45:02

My DD (now 13 months) used to go up to 7/8 days without a poo - the GP said they wouldn't even begin worrying unless her tummy was hard and she was in obvious discomfort (more than the usual farty baby discomfort). In the end she spend nearly 3 months doing a weekly - yep, every Thursday like clockwork - explosion to completely clear the pipes and start again !

She was EBF and this is apparently quite normal and nothing to worry about. Unless your DD is really upset I'd be quite happy to wait until you see the health visitor tomorrow - we used to do a clockwise tummy rub which is recommended as this is the directional flow of the pipes !

thedogwalker Tue 30-Nov-10 11:56:10

My DS is just over 3 months old and is BF, he is only just starting to poo more often, but he was going every 8 days for the first 3 months, I found doing tummy massage and moving his legs has helped stimulate his bowels. When I spoke to GP was told that BF babies can go up to 10 days between poos.

If your LO appears in discomfort then go to the doctors but if not then I would leave it and maybe try a bit of massage.

NoTeaForMe Tue 30-Nov-10 11:58:20

Thankyou all for your advice and reassurance. Does the fact that my daughter is mixed fed make a difference?

going Tue 30-Nov-10 11:59:00

My three only pooed every few days, one went for 14 days without a poo! It's very normal.

My friends daughter pooed with every nappy change which is also very normal!

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Tue 30-Nov-10 12:03:28

Mine does this, don't worry, do a bit of the tummy massage, strip her down on something brand new and white while you do this, I can guarantee she will poo then

MoonUnitAlpha Tue 30-Nov-10 13:18:08

It's common in breastfed babies, but I would think mix feeding does make a difference. If she's not in pain then I'm sure it'll wait til tomorrow though.

NoTeaForMe Wed 01-Dec-10 20:34:12

Thanks for all your advice, she was very uncomfortable yesterday afternoon and then did the worlds biggest poo, obviously building up inside her and just exploded! (Sorry TMI!!)

She now hasn't done another one, she seems to go a couple/few days and then does a monster one, problem is she does seem uncomfortable for a while before she goes. What can I do to help? I have been massaging her as suggested on here. I am breastfeeding and giving formula, she is having 3 bottles of 4fl/oz.

Any further advice? Thanks in advance.

legallyblond Thu 02-Dec-10 15:28:57

My 7 week old dd is ebf but has exactly the same pattern that you describe NoTea. As everyone has said, is is normal for them not to go for a few days but the HV told me that if I felt that DD was really straining/uncomfortable, I could give her 1 teaspoon of prune juice mixed in with 2oz of cooled boiled water to move things along...

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 15:31:43

What formula are you using, NoTea? Some of them are quite renowned for constipation.

NoTeaForMe Thu 02-Dec-10 17:39:31

We're using Cow and Gate newborn stage 1. Is this one ok? Should we try changing? Today she has so far only had one bottle of formula and will have another at bedtime (4fl/oz)

She hasn't pooed since tuesday again and has been uncomfortable this afternoon. I couldn't get hold of my hv and she had to cancel her visit on Wednesday. (She left a message so didn't get a chance to speak to her unfortunately) She has had trapped wind in the past and have been given her infacol but I stopped as she seemed ok and I didn't want to keep given it to her. I started giving it to her again today in case this is part of the problem.

What do you think? She is 6 and a half weeks old.

NoTeaForMe Thu 02-Dec-10 20:30:01

Anybody?

SirBoob is that brand known to cause constipation?

I know people say that breastfed babies can go this long or longer without doing a poo but as she's mixed fed I think she should have gone by now, and I think she definately wants to.

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 20:56:49

I think its C&G and Aptimil that are recommended if they're constipated. There is Cow and Gate Comfort, but I don't know the age limit on it.

Could you EBF for the next 24hrs or so to help, maybe?

Have you got a childrens centre nearby that you could visit or call, if for nothing else than to put your mind at ease?

Try some more baby massage, and cycling her legs. Also, if you use one finger to go up from one hip to level with her belly button, to across and down to the other hip; a friend used to swear that helped her DDs constipation.

NoTeaForMe Thu 02-Dec-10 21:09:55

I have breastfed a lot more today than recently and it doesn't seem to have helped, she has been hungry though and had bottles too. I can't ebf, it's been very emotional and hard getting this far, I'm doing as much breastfeeding as I can. I will phone the health visitor tomorrow and hope to get through.

Thanks for all your help.

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 21:20:56

I didn't mean it as a criticisim, NoTea, have seen several of your threads and know what a roller-coaster ride its been for you. You're doing fantastically.

NoTeaForMe Thu 02-Dec-10 21:43:57

Thanks SirBoob , sorry if I sounded abrupt, I didn't mean to. I would hate to think that the fact that I'm not breastfeeding is actually causing her pain, and I hadn't thought about this in that way. Thankyou for saying I'm doing well, at the moment each day is still a battle-but we're really getting there now and topping up with formula is really working for us.....as long as it's not hurting her and making her constipated of course.

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 21:46:20

I really hope my post didn't sound like that I do apologise if it did, I really did just mean in a case of she may be a bit under the weather right now, and it might help. I am sorry if I made you feel bad.

You're doing fantastically well, you really should be proud of yourself. x

NoTeaForMe Thu 02-Dec-10 21:53:42

Don't worry you didn't really make me feel bad. Everything seems to upset me about breastfeeding, it really doesn't take a lot. I'll keep breastfeeding as much as I can and I'll call the health visitor tomorrow. Thankyou for all of your help and advice.

SirBoobAlot Thu 02-Dec-10 22:00:15

Remember its very early days - its a very sensitive subject for most people, regardless of their opinion of themselves with reference to it at the beginning

I hope the health visitor can help you. Post as often as you need to (or if you just need to rant, feel free to PM me, 'kay?).

NoTeaForMe Thu 02-Dec-10 22:08:12

Thanks very much! I'll let you know what the health visitor says. x

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 02-Dec-10 22:11:34

I think it might be a case of finding which formula works for your baby - friends of mine have had constipation issues with C&G and Aptimil. One switched to C&G Comfort, not sure about the other. My DS has Aptimil cartons sometimes and they haven't made him constipated but do make him fart a lot.

NoTeaForMe Fri 03-Dec-10 13:13:05

Hi all,

I spoke to a health visitor this morning. She has recommended giving ready made cartons for a bit as they have a slightly higher sugar content so work in the same way as giving a bit of orange juice which is what they used to suggest (or maybe still do for older babies?!) we are going away this weekend so was planning on using cartons for the formula feeds anyway as they will be easier! Then when we get back she said do every other formula feed by carton. Then back to powdered formula, hopefully this will kick start her bowels! And obviously keep up the breasfeeding as much as possible!

She has said I can give 1oz of cooled boiled water too but no more to start with as don't want go mess up her feeding by giving her water.

We also talked about baths and massage so will keep that up. She did do a poo this morning so maybe it has helped?! (Sorry, you probably don't want to know that!!)

If it doesn't work we will switch to a different formula, maybe it is as simple as her not liking cow and gate like MoonUnit suggested.

Thankyou all so much for your advice and support.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: