Talk

Advanced search

Serving carton formula for the first time to a b/f baby.

(9 Posts)
Librashavinganotherbiscuit Mon 29-Nov-10 17:54:47

Erm what temperature is it suppose to be?

TIA

Seona1973 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:59:41

I used to just serve it at room temperature but you can heat it a little if you wish

pommedeterre Mon 29-Nov-10 17:59:51

Can be whatever you want! Room temp is fine or just warm it (the bottle to be clear!) slightly in a jug of boiling water.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 29-Nov-10 18:00:54

When you say carton formula, do you mean readymade cartons? I would have said try them at room temperature, v. handy if DC can drink them at this temp then you don't have to worry about heating them up when out and about.

Is this the first time you're introducing a bottle to BF baby? If so you might find it tricky depending on how old DC is and if DC does accept the bottle you may need to keep giving him/her one every other day or so as they can end up rejecting them again.

Good luck!

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Mon 29-Nov-10 18:06:10

thanks for your advice, it is ready made catons and first time we have given a bottle she has been ebf for last 5 weeks. Plan is to give one bottle a day so I dont feel tied to her and therefore will continue to b/f longer IYSWIM. This is all presuming she takes the bottle and the formula!!!

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 29-Nov-10 20:49:23

May I give you a couple of other tips?

If DD doesn't take bottle from you get someone else to try giving it to her so that she can't smell your milk.

If it's her first time and she doesn't take it at room temp heat it up a little and tip the milk into the teat so it's a little warmer and therefore closer in temp to your nipple.

Great idea about giving 1 bottle per day, does it need to be formula, could it not be expressed? I'm not pro BF (my DD is entirely FF!) but just wondered if it messes with your milk supply etc.

IMO the last feed of the night is a good one for someone else to do so that you can to bed early. My DH did that and it was bliss to know I could go to be early at not be woken up until 1am (for next feed!), personally think it also helped DH bond with DD, they have a great bond.

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Mon 29-Nov-10 23:36:35

Hello she guzzled it with no problem at all at room temp.
holly thanks for your reply and yes you have to be careful it doesn't impact supply but i HATE expressing and vowed not to do it this time as it made me feel so low, this will be the 10 pm feed done by dh and I am hoping my body just adjusts as if DD doesn't have this feed. I demand feed the rest of the time

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 30-Nov-10 02:04:19

What a super baby, you must be v. pleased!

Well done you x

BaggedandTagged Tue 30-Nov-10 05:38:27

I have a friend who does this (dropped the same feed every day). She said her boobs were like rocks at night for a few days but then her body did adapt and she was still ok for supply for the other feeds.

I think consistency is the key (i.e. same feed every day).Then your body just doesn't make milk for that feed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: