Talk

Advanced search

New born baby vomits milk out

(7 Posts)
aichi Sun 28-Nov-10 21:12:58

Hi

I have a 15 days old baby and I've noticed she vomits watery milk (not thick yoghurty milk) now and again after the feed - breast milk.

I've told this to midwives and my health visitor but they didn't seen to be that concerned...as long as she's gaining weight and pooing and peeing - which she is.

I'm just worried if I'm forcing her to be fed more when she's full...

Does anyone have any suggestions of dealing with this situation? Is this normal?

Showaddywaddy Sun 28-Nov-10 21:18:59

If she's otherwise well, weeing, pooing, gaining weight and happy/alert and it's not causing her upset/discomfort then yes I'd say it was v normal. You can't overfeed a bfed baby. It may be coming up with the wind or her getting rid of a bit she doesn't want/need or just positional. If it's infrequent and you're otherwise unconcerned then I'd take a wait and see approach.

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 28-Nov-10 21:23:19

My baby still chucks a bit of milk straight back up sometimes and he's 4 months old - I wouldn't worry about a bit of posseting.

aichi Sun 28-Nov-10 21:25:59

Thanks Showaddywaddy

When she vomits the milk should I then feed her again? I just wondered if she vomits her stomach'll be empty and she'll be hungry?? or should I leave her till the next feed?

Showaddywaddy Sun 28-Nov-10 21:37:07

Generally they don't bring it all back up. It looks like more than it is in a lot of cases. I thought dd was bringing up quite a bit when possetting and then she was properly sick for the first time and I saw the difference.

I'd be led by your baby. If she wants more milk afterwards then I'd give it. Just see if she starts showing feeding cues.

Congratulations to you. Tiny bfed babies make me feel a bit nostalgic.

NinkyNonker Sun 28-Nov-10 21:45:49

What about great big vomits? DD (nearly 4 months) has only ever thrown up 4 times, but 3 of these times have been in the last few days. Big cough (bit poorly) then literally projectile vomitting gallons (or so it seems!) of milk. We then have to start the feed again as I don't think she has anything left!

Is that something to worry about?! (Sorry for hijack OP!)

NellyTheElephant Mon 29-Nov-10 14:23:12

My 3 (all bf) all posseted what seemed like really quite a lot of milk after every feed (but as others have said, when you first see a proper full feed vomit you realise the difference). All mine had great weight gain and were very contented babies. As long as she is happy and gaining weight, weeing and pooing it isn't an issue for her, it's just a complete and utter pain for you. I felt like I was constantly covered in baby sick (I was) and when I look back at pictures of DD1 I don't think that we have any in which she doesn't have a bib on or a muslin tied round her to try and protect her clothes (by the time of the next two I didn't bother with bibs just dabbed at the sick rather ineffectually and gave up!). Some babies just do this. I wouldn't really worry about it or try and feed her again, you'll just end up with more sick. Just stick to her usual feeding patterns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: