Talk

Advanced search

Weight gain and weaning - I am confused

(3 Posts)
PacificDogwood Sun 28-Nov-10 19:30:00

Apologies for putting this query here - I am hoping to attract the attention of some of MN's BFing gurus wink, but I am confused about what has happened with my DS4's weight gain:

He was a smallish baby born at term weighing 2980g = 9th centile. I EBF for the first 3 months and up to 6 months he only had the very occasional bottle of FF if we had to be seperated (maybe once a week or so). His weight had dropped to 2nd centile and for some weeks to just below sad. He was a rather fidgety non-sleeping baby that cried a lot and spent A Lot Of Time on the breast. I BF on demand.

Since I started weaning him on to solids at 26 weeks, he has climbed more than 3 centiles shock in the 10 weeks since then now sitting just above the 50th! He was slow to take to solids (puress and some finger foods), but is now taking 3 meals/day.

He is my last baby and did not find BF easy with any of mine and not very successful with the first two, but it bugs me that he has apparently only started gaining weight since he has gone on to solids!

Any explanation other than that my milk is 'weak' (which is my mother's favourite hmm)? Do some babies just take a while to start catching up? My other 3 all seemed to turn a corner at the 6 months mark.

Anyhoo, I am just musing and wondering - I am not normally obsessed about his weight, honest smile

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 28-Nov-10 20:08:08

A few people I know found their babies jumped centiles once they weaned, regardless of the centile they started on. Maybe it's quite a typical pattern of weight gain for bf babies? My ds is only 4 months and smallish, so it will be interesting to see what happens once he starts solids.

PacificDogwood Sun 28-Nov-10 20:34:52

Thanks, MoonUnit, that's just what I would like to know: is it a typical pattern for a BF baby?? If there is such a thing as a typical pattern for anything related to contrary littlies... hmm.

I was never a confident BFer and this does not help to instil confidence into my ability to satisfy DS4 with BM alone - even with the benefit of hindsight sad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: