Talk

Advanced search

2 mo DS - want to change to formula but he will only take a couple of ounces at a time

(12 Posts)
KSal Sun 28-Nov-10 09:02:55

Hi, I am trying to change over to formula. DS will take a bottle but only drinks a couple of ounces from each bottle... making feeds frequent, which is one of the reasons for changing over in the first place....

any tips for encouraging him to take more in one go (i think it should be more like 5 ounces). at the moment i am only trying to give one feed a day by bottle... do you think he's holding out for boob? should i go cold turkey so he gets to understand there is no boob coming?

or... do i just go with frequent bottle feeds.. will he stretch out in time..? not sure i can cope with frequent bottle feeds any better than i cope with frequent breast feeds.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 28-Nov-10 09:15:16

How often is he feeding? 2 months is still really little, DS was feeding every 1.5-2 hours at least at this stage.

Why would you want him to think there is no boob coming?

He will space his feeds with time, but for now he has a tiny tummy and needs little and often and I'm not sure it is a good thing to be thinking of ways to try and force him to take more milk at once.

I'm guessing you are feeling tied down by the frequency of feeding - are you ok with feeding out and about, have you mastered feeding in a sling which would give you more freedom?

PeasPlease Sun 28-Nov-10 09:26:31

If your DS wants to feed a small amount often, then IME however you feed him that is how he will feed. I don't think there is much you can do about it, I found that making DS wait longer for a feed still only resulted in him drinking 3oz at a time (although he would drink it faster because of extra hunger) and then he would want more an hour later.

I know it is frustrating seeing the mums who bottle fed from the start getting massive bottles into their babies who then happily go 4 hours before another feed but don't judge yourself against them, by breastfeeding him you have allowed your DS to get control of his own appetite.

Stick to breastfeeding it it easier I wish I had.

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 28-Nov-10 09:45:41

Some babies are just little and often feeders - I think they recommend you feed on demand whether bottle or breast.

Zimm Sun 28-Nov-10 10:11:08

Although it might not be what you want to hear sticking to BF will be easier in the long run - no bottles to prepare every 2 hours! You've done so, so well to get this far and you are nearly through the hardest part I promise - my DD cut her feeds right dwon by 3 months. As did all my firends' babies - who were alos feeding every 2 hours. Perhaps mix feeding would work for you - get DH/DP to do a couple of evening feeds so you can get a break?

KSal Sun 28-Nov-10 10:56:55

I kind of knew you would tell me it would be easier to stick to breastfeeding... i just don't know if i can hack it. on the other hand it is such a big jump to stop and change to formula... i am realy struggling.

I certainly don't feel that i can feed out and about.. in fact i feel like i don't want to go anywhere, which is another part of the issue. I also have a two year old who i feel sorry for, tbh because she gets so little of my time.

PeasPlease Sun 28-Nov-10 11:45:19

It doesn't have to be Breast feeding or formula feeding though, you can do mixed feeding, so maybe replace an afternoon feed with a bottle so you can do that out and about and then replace a morning feed so you can spend more time with your other child. I found that mixed feeding only works if you always feed with a bottle at the same time every day or else lots of milk ends up being tipped away.

sassie23 Sun 28-Nov-10 18:01:39

I really feel for you KSAL I am feeling the same with big hungry boy who has been BF with top ups since birth now 4 weeks don't really want to give up so early but he seems constantly hungry and colicky so going to try mixed feeding as i did it with DS1 and it seemd to work ok til about 12 weeks. Just think if yougive a couple of bottles and breastfeed the rest of the time it might stretch out the breastfeeding time you give overall rather than struggly with Ebf and feel like me you are going to lose your head. Its really hard when you have a toddler to worry about too,

KSal Sun 28-Nov-10 19:23:41

so i'll try to make it to 12 weeks and reassess.... will mixed feeding affect my supply? do i have to express those feeds to keep supply going?

the problem is that he feeds every 1-2 hours during the day and 3 hours at night, i just haven't had time to express... sometimes he's snacking and falling asleep, but other times he'll feed for an hour and still not be satisfied. evenings are the cluster feed you expect...

thanks for your replies... as you say... i've made it this far...

mousesma Sun 28-Nov-10 21:34:49

I've been mix feeding since 16 weeks (DD now 20 weeks. I've been giving 2 bottles of FF a day but DD is still feeding every 2 hours during the day. Some babies just like to snack more than others I think.

If you do decide to fully forumla feed then you could try making several small bottles up i.e. 2-3 oz at the start of the day then cooling quickly and storing in the back of the fridge for 24 hours max. That way you shouldn't have as much wastage and you'll have a feed to hand whenever DS gets hungry.

Cosmosis Mon 29-Nov-10 08:40:31

can you express while feeding? that works for me.

KSal Thu 02-Dec-10 10:15:31

Cosmosis I try to feed him both sides each time so he takes as much as possible.

he feeds so little from the bottle it means i can't replace a feed as such... he'll take a little from the bottle then immediately look for the boob. basically i'm stuck. i'm finding this all very difficult, kind of like i'm trapped. part of me wishes i'd never started breast feeding because now i can't stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now