Talk

Advanced search

Periods? had1but not a second..preg panic!

(23 Posts)
mummysmadhouse Sat 27-Nov-10 14:31:47

Ive had my first period 4wk ago, ds is 8mth and still FBF.

I have always had a 28day cycle to the day..its been more than that now, but know 2nd period, do you think its just BF related.

Cant get a test yet..too much snow to drive sad

whysolate Sat 27-Nov-10 15:24:25

Definitley could be because of BF and hormones still all over the place. I wouldn't panic just yet. Although similar happened to me. I hadn't had a period at all after DD was born and exclusivley BF. Didn't occur to me I could be pregnant. I was. DS was born 9 months and 17 days after DD. It took my periods about 18 months to return to normal after DS. Now they are 28 days to the day. I know you must be worried but try to stay calm. Get a test when you can. x

Bicnod Sat 27-Nov-10 15:28:08

My 1st post-BF period arrived a month or so after I stopped BF DS (at 8mths) and my 2nd came along about 8 weeks after that. They were a bit erratic for a few months and then settled down to be regular as clockwork again.

Have you had unprotected sex? If so then you could be pg but I suspect it is bf hormone related.

As whysolate says, get a test to set your mind at rest when you can.

pozzled Sat 27-Nov-10 15:33:08

When my periods returned after bfing they took quite a while to settle down, at least 3 or 4 months before they were regular.

I'd do a test just to check once you can get to the shops- but try not to panic in the meantime.

mummysmadhouse Sat 27-Nov-10 15:55:25

whysolate shock

MyGP told me that if iwas EBF..then the risk of getting pregnant was even less than being on the pill. Enless baby is sleeping through or weaned.

TBH i have had zero sex drive since ds arrived so contraception hasnt been an issue..but a few weeks ag0 my mojo suddenly reappeared had me and DH gpt a bit, ahem, carried away I paniced and DH didnt finish TMI!...still very silly i know.

So now im worrying as ive been having period symptoms for a wk or so but no period!confused

I think its very unlikely but still worrying esp as this turned out to be a pregnancy it would be our 4th dc shock

I did try and up ds's feeds again after my period in they hope they would stop again grin so maybe thats why!

whysolate Sat 27-Nov-10 16:13:40

LOL! I thought there was zero percent chance of conceiving with BF every few hours day and night! I have 3 DC's and can't imagine having 4! I think it is just one of those things you get your head around if it happens.

whysolate Sat 27-Nov-10 17:34:04

Let us know if you do a test! smile

mummysmadhouse Sat 27-Nov-10 17:51:38

I bloody hope i can get my head round it if it happens hmm

Will keep you updated

MumNWLondon Sat 27-Nov-10 17:57:57

Various studies on EBF with a baby under 6 months, its somewhere between 95%-98% effective provided no formula, dummys, not sleeping all night, no periods etc etc.

But then, even 98% means that if 100 women EBF for 6 months and rely on contraception for those 6 months one will get pregnant.

MumNWLondon Sat 27-Nov-10 18:01:01

http://www.fhi.org/en/rh/pubs/factsheets/breastfee ding.htm

For it to be effective all the conditions must be met:

- full breastfeeding (ie no formula/solids)
- baby under 6 months
- no resumption in periods (most important)

In the OPs case none of the three conditions are met. That being said totally normal for cycles not to be exactly 28 days etc whilst feeding.

Porcelain Sat 27-Nov-10 20:11:29

If you have a very good diet that can also allow ovulation. Studies into diet and BF demonstrate that improving diet doesn't affect the milk, but can restore the mother's fertility (essentially the body recognises it would be able to support BF and pregnancy).

Basically, in western culture BF cannot be relied on, there's too many variables, which is why the midwives pounce on you with free condoms in hospital.

AngelDog Sat 27-Nov-10 22:30:25

I found the Kellymom information on BF and fertility useful.

Showaddywaddy Sat 27-Nov-10 22:34:29

It's really common to have one period following pregnancy/bfing and the next one to be delayed. Really common. It's because your hormones take a while to settle.

That said, dd didn't go longer than 2 hours between feeds until 7 months. No dummies, no formula, nothing else, ebf. Periods returned at 13 weeks. Bah bloody humbug.

AngelDog Sat 27-Nov-10 22:37:33

Apparently if your periods return early, it's quite likely that you're not ovulating for the first one (or several) periods. If they return late, it's likely you ovulate before having a period. So in theory, you could be in your situation at 13 weeks, Showaddywaddy, but not actually able to conceive yet.

Sympathies though (including on the no longer than 2 hours between feeds issue).

Showaddywaddy Sat 27-Nov-10 22:55:31

I was definitely ovulating but my luteal phase was so short that I couldn't have conceived imo. Started out at around 5 days and took quite a few months- nearing a year- to reach the normal length for me. So I wasn't even frigging fertile. What was the point, eh?

I was more annoyed that I'd had a 4 week break from heinous lochia and then periods turning up so quickly. Especially with the near constant feeding.

mummysmadhouse Mon 29-Nov-10 10:27:49

Well still no arrival of period..so dh is currently out purchasing a test as its driving me mad thinking about it

babyrose Mon 29-Nov-10 10:45:24

i ebf and my period turned up about 4 mnths after. good luck

AngelDog Tue 30-Nov-10 13:02:07

Not much fun then, Showaddywaddy. My periods still haven't returned, which I've really enjoyed (DS is 11m.), but now we're thinking of ttc DC2, I'm seeing it as less of a good thing.

crikeybadger Wed 01-Dec-10 09:35:10

Any news mummymadhouse?

In a similar position myself so am just hoping that showaddywaddy is right about the second period being delayed. smile

LadyCressida Wed 01-Dec-10 10:19:43

I hope it's normal to have one and then a long gap - I had one in July (6 weeks after DD was born) and nothing since - eeek!

Have the odd panic about it, but I felt so ill when I was pregnant before, I figure I would know if I was again!

mummysmadhouse Wed 01-Dec-10 19:58:20

Well i tested monday and it was a negative phew!...Still no period but im hoping thats just due to hormones

What about your crikeybadger

mummysmadhouse Wed 01-Dec-10 19:58:29

'you'

crikeybadger Wed 01-Dec-10 20:38:23

Glad you got the result you wanted smile

I'm in head in the sand mode at the moment!

Should get a test but am just too nervous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: