Talk

Advanced search

So sorry me again, really struggling any help appreciated

(36 Posts)
alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:09:16

My lo just seems to have terrible wind, after each feed, I can here it going round her body and she pulls up and shrieks and wont settle. I have tried infacol, but doesn't seem to solve the problem.

My first son was ff and had awful reflux and wind, and we put him on Omnio Comfort, a thicker feed which was a god send. I really wanted to bf but not at the discomfort of little one.

I try and get the wind up, tried sitting on knee holding jaw and patting/rubbing back, also over the shoulder with both arms and legs straight and patting her back. She will burp but still seems in discomfort.

Why do you think she would get such bad wind? And is there a way to solve this. Any help appreciated.

I have been switch feeding toget lo's weight up

Albrecht Thu 25-Nov-10 14:21:18

Remind us how old is she? Still v. young I think?

I never found a solution to this except it just got better as he was able to hold his head up more and more, so the burps could make their way out easier. Around 6 wks I think I noticed a big improvement. (He's 4.5 months now and sometimes they just pop out as soon as he's upright!)

Do you just burp at the end of feeding sess? Have you tried in the middle too? Is time consuming but might help.

tiktok Thu 25-Nov-10 14:23:18

alfiemama - hearing gurgles and sounds does not mean she has wind, though...everyone's stomach does that, but we notice it in babies as their tummies are nearer our ears and because they have far less fat to act as sound insulation

Pulling up legs and shrieking is not a sign - this is how babies show their distress. It's what they do when crying.

Do you think you might be assuming it's wind 'cos of what happened with your son?

Is it just in the last couple of days she has done this? It might just be something that will pass.

The strenuous efforts to get her wind up are probably not worth it - just do whatever you need to do to help her be happy, inc feeding again.

Sometimes, oversupply can cause a baby to be miserable and uncomfortable but I think it is doubtful you have got to this stage yet. It's worth considering if this problem persists, though, and then you would just go back to feeding without consciously switching back and forth.

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:27:58

thanks Albrecht, she is 2 weeks 2 days, she just seems in so much pain and discomfort.
I burp her in the middle as well, usually when she gets disinterested.
At the beginning after a few sucks she starts gulping, so wondering if I have a fast let down and if this could be why. Also she sleeps with her mouth open, so surely this may make her windy?

I know bf is a learning curve for both of us, but not nice when they seem in pain.

harecare Thu 25-Nov-10 14:31:53

I know when my dds were still weeks old they both spent much of their time over my shoulder or sitting leaning forward against my hand. I never considered them to have a wind problem, but I was happy to hold them in a way that helped the wind up for most of the time.
So maybe your dd has a normal amount of wind, but you're trying to get her to lie down before it's up? Or maybe my DDs had bad wind problems and I just didn't realise?
I hope you all feel happier soon.

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:34:17

Hi Tiktok thanks again.
I can see the wind, you know when they go grey/white under the nose.
I think could be over supply as quite engorged now and can feel them tingling a lot.
I don't think its reflux with Millie just very bad wind, luckily she doesnt sick up.

deleting Thu 25-Nov-10 14:36:04

ds2 had terrible wind and would be constantly straining and crying. we took him to a cranial oesteopath and that helped a lot and he would pass a huge amount of wind while he was there, but i think he eventually just grew out of it. with ds1 we thought he had wind/colic but he didn't he was just tired. don't know how old your ds is but perhaps you're feeding him when he's not actually hungry and just tired. we got a sleep routine for ds1 and he was much more settled.

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:37:17

thanks harecare.
I hold her a lot to be honest. Can't seem to put her down (she's my last and enjoying snuggles, which she likes also) but she arches her back, its definitely wind, I'm sure

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:38:56

Thanks deleting. I'm demand feeding and as she had lost weight had to feed on every cue.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 25-Nov-10 14:39:29

Have you tried gripe water - v.cheap from the supermarket. It was brilliant with DS, whereas infacol did nothing.

Have you tried adjusting the position you feed in?

thisisyesterday Thu 25-Nov-10 14:45:45

when you feed are you offering both breasts several times?
if it is an oversupply problem then switch feeding may not help? (perhaps tiktok can confirm/deny this?)

just thinking that if she only takes 2, maybe 3 sides that if you do have an oversupply issue she may only really be getting the less fatty milk at the start of the feed which could impact on wind related things and possible weight too?

how long have you been switch feeding?

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:47:29

thanks Ali, unfortunately she is too young at the minute.
To be honest yes, tried under the arm, lying down and across tummy. Will look into the biological nurturing as well, but hard at the minute, as had very bad section and still in pain.

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 14:51:51

thanks thisisyesterday. Been switch feeding since weekend on tiktoks advice, as she had lost 11oz since birth and mw was suggesting ff top ups. Perhaps this has now over compensated and now I have an over supply, hence gulpy windy baby maybe? She gained weight anyway.

How would I now rectify this? One breast each feed?

tiktok Thu 25-Nov-10 14:56:16

alfiemama - the grey/blue/white/pink whatever under the nose is a Big Myth. I have posted about it before. It does not make sense - how would air in the stomach travel through the blood stream and make the skin a different colour?

The different colour may be an effect of them crying - just like people may go a bit blotchy in the face after a blub.

She may have wind - just saying that none of these signs indicate it. Whatever, she is clearly upset and it could be wind - and maybe it is a powerful let down, and maybe you do have a touch of over-supply now

thesecondcoming - alfiemama's baby was not gaining weight well, and she had only been feeding on one side. She switched to switch nursing and the baby's weight shot up.

If you are confident now in her weight, alfiemama, you could think about reducing the switching. This will reduce the volume of milk and therefore the powerful letdown.

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 25-Nov-10 14:56:23

alfiemama, this is only my opinion but after the problems with block feeding and weight loss you had before, I wouldn't want to stop switch feeding yet. These phases can pass and change so quickly as the baby grows and their digestive system matures, I would give it a little more time.

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 15:03:58

Makes sense tiktok, I think powerful let down rather than over supply, not sure if they are part and parcel.

Ive decided, I am going to ride the storm on this one, not going to give up. Im sure I can sort it with everyones help

MoonUnitAlpha Thu 25-Nov-10 15:09:11

When my ds was smaller, he seemed to struggle a bit with the letdown on one side I would take him off for a few moments when I felt the letdown before putting him back on - was a bit messy though!

RunningOutOfIdeas Thu 25-Nov-10 15:10:15

My DD had a lot of the problems you describe, alfiemama. She had reflux, but I think the wind, pulling legs up etc. was a separate problem. With hindsight I think I had an oversupply. DD fed very quickly and gained weight well, but was always uncomfortable. Colief drops helped with this. I used to give them in a little milk before each bf.

I read somewhere that if your lo is getting lots of foremilk, it can have more lactose in compared to hindmilk and your lo might not be producing enough lactase to cope with this. In this situation extra winding will not help because the wind is not caused by gulping air. Instead it is caused by the natural gut bacteria digesting the excess lactose and producing wind. Don't know if this is complete rubbish, but it seemed to make sense to me at the time.

bumbums Thu 25-Nov-10 15:10:50

My DCs only needed one breast a feed at this age.
Could she be taking too much milk and thus having an overfull and uncomfortable tummy?

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 15:16:58

thanks moonunit. just tried this on a breast pad, it was like a fire hydrant lol now she is not gulping.

Thanks running, again makes sense. What age can they use colief?

bumbums had to do switch for weight gain

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 15:23:28

just looked up coleif, so may try this. My ds1 had this but he was a bit older.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 25-Nov-10 15:46:54

sorry - I had forgotten that you can't use it from birth! blush

It is hard after a section, I had one with DS and there is no way I could have had him lying on my belly to feed until about 4/5 weeks post birth because I was so sore.

I hope things improve for you soon

harecare Thu 25-Nov-10 15:55:47

I know the arch back thing. That's when I used to sit her and make sure she was bent over and leaning forward. The more she/they arched back, the more I'd make sure they were bent forward and over.
It will all get better eventually.

I second using Gripe Water. Infacol was useless for DD when she was doing same as your DD but Gripe Water really helped.

alfiemama Thu 25-Nov-10 19:03:26

Thanks everyone. Just given her some colief and tried expressing off some first, she is now napping, nice and content (in oh's arms lol), so fingers crossed.

Only problem now is it says to keep refrigerated and if I am cluster feeding at night how will this work, or can I take it up to bed and just put it in the fridge in the morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now