Talk

Advanced search

how many feeds a day for a fat 4mth old.

(10 Posts)
thesecondcoming Wed 24-Nov-10 18:25:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stickersarecurrency Wed 24-Nov-10 19:15:16

Sorry it's so hard for you tsc.

I don't think anyone will be able to prescribe a number of feeds for him - he's taking what he needs when he needs it I think. 4 months is growth spurt time so arguably you could see an improvement if you let him/encourage him to feed more. I would also try to remember that he's close to an age when many babies seem to grow up a bit and become less needy - better times could be just around the corner

HelenLG Wed 24-Nov-10 19:18:19

DS is 4 months now and his routine is as follows: -

5am - 1 boob
7.30 - 1 boob
9ish - sleep (45 mins)
11 - 2 boobs
12ish - sleep (45 mins)
1.30 - 2 boobs
2.30 - sleep (30 mins-45mins)
3 - 2 boobs
5 - 2 boobs
5.15 - sleep (30 mins)
6.30/7 - 7 oz of formula or expressed
7.30 - sleep
10/11 - 7 oz of formula or expressed

He has only in the last couple of days he's stopped feeding at 3 in the morning... I feel your pain

I have alway done the later feed before bed in the hope that it makes him go longer, as he used to wake at one.

I would maybe try to get him to feed longer on one boob and then try getting him to nap longers, but to be honest looking at my routine it's not much better.

UniversityOfMum Wed 24-Nov-10 19:27:30

I couldn't say whats the right amount for your DS.

My 4 1/2 month DD feeds:

5am 1 boob
7.30am 1 boob
9.30 1 boob then nap
1-2 1 boob then nap
4-5 1 boob then nap
Then from after bath, which is around 6.30 feeds until 7.30/8.

It seems they feed a similar amount during the day, just your DS takes 2 boobs. Have you tried using a <whispers> dummy? I find this really helps when all DD is looking for is a comfort suck.

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 24-Nov-10 20:09:18

Mine is almost 4 months but small (13lbs). I offer both boobs at each feed though sometimes he is only on the second for a couple of minutes.

He feeds:
7am
nap
10am
11.30am
nap
2pm
nap
5pm
bath at 6pm
6.30pm - bed
10.30pm dreamfeed
(sometimes 3am feed)
5am

So 8ish feeds - I'm working on dropping the 3am feed completely but it's 50/50 at the moment. He also has a dummy when tired.

thesecondcoming Wed 24-Nov-10 20:49:16

NinkyNonker Wed 24-Nov-10 21:01:29

Mine (nearly 4 months) won't take a dummy either.

Some days she feeds every hour. (Is over 15lbs now.0

If I can get her to 2 hrs that's great...but it doesn't always happen! If we are out and about she will go longer.

Nighttime she will feed at 7pm when she goes to bed, 10pm (we have just reinstated the dream feed to avoid her sudden desire to wake at midnoght which I found really hard!), around 0330, then 0530. At this point she is normally awake for the day.

She doesn't really sleep in the day, I'm working on it at the moment. I struggle to get her past 45 mins, sometimes less...maybe once or twice a day.

thesecondcoming Wed 24-Nov-10 21:08:17

Fernie3 Wed 24-Nov-10 23:49:18

Hello my daughter is the same age and weighs a bit less at around 13 pounds.

This has been today's feeds which is pretty typical lately.

Midnight - feed both sides fussy and hard to settle to sleep

3am both side, good feed falls asleep on the boob

6am both sides, seems pretty happy but very awake wont be put down i end uo sitting in bed browsing the Internet while she lies on me a few sucks here and there her favourite "chilling" position.

8am she is overtired starts screaming i try to feed her she has a bit then screams sime mre then a bit more screams some more finally falls asleep.

10am feed both sides

11am feed both sides then settles to sleep.

1 pm feed both sides, but grumpily again arching her back pulling away acting as though she is hungry but hates milk.

2:30 ( roughly - cant remember exactly may have been up to 3:30) feed both sides

4:00 feed both sides Then sleeps

7:00ish feed both sides again back arching screaming finally falls asleep in my arms and goes unto her cot

9pm short feed but a bit half hearted straight back to sleep

I expect she will wake up soon for a feed

That was linger than i expected.

She wont take a bottle she will have a dummy but only occasionally. I don't mind the number of feeds i just hate the screaming and pulling!

ClimberChick Thu 25-Nov-10 01:42:50

anything from 6-12 feeds in within normal.

my DD fed every 2 hrs (day and night) up until she was 6 months old. I guess the cluster feeding in the late afternoon/early evening is the price for sleeping through. It's a price I'd happily pay.

I'd change the sleeping/feeding constantly thing, but this is where DH can come in. Might be a few unsettled nights while he learns to soothe him. I would then say 'right, I'll feed him once a hour' say, then pass him back to DH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now