Talk

Advanced search

Will being ill affect my supply?

(6 Posts)
AliceandtheGinormousBaps Wed 24-Nov-10 17:27:58

DS is 14wks, ebf and doing well on it, i usually have too much milk so have been donating to local scbu.

Yesterday i had a 12hr gastric flu bug and have lost 4lbs. My boobs haven't felt full at all today and DS is feeding for a long time and getting fussy at the breast.

I haven't been able to eat very much, but tying hard to get the cals in with liquid (lucozade, hot choc etc)

Will/has this affected my supply? Is it only temporary or could this mean the end of BF?

Thanks smile

tiktok Wed 24-Nov-10 17:32:13

It does sometimes happen - but it is always temporary

You should be ok tomorrow or even tonight.

AliceandtheGinormousBaps Wed 24-Nov-10 17:59:07

Thank you smile

moajab Wed 24-Nov-10 22:57:17

I had a bad UTI when my DS was about 8 or 9 weeks old and didn't eat much for about three days (and threw up what I did eat!) I noticed that DS's feeds lasted a lot longer as If my milk wasn't as satisfying. Things went back to normal once I got my appetite back and I am still breastfeeding him now (aged 22 months) Hope you feel better soon!

LifeOfKate Thu 25-Nov-10 15:47:26

I had a tummy bug when DS was about the same age as yours and did notice my supply drop off a little, but I made sure I drank loads and fed him loads to get my supply back up and it was all fine again relatively quickly

AliceandtheGinormousBaps Thu 25-Nov-10 18:38:46

Thanks all, i have found that he is feeding a lot more successfully today, i don't have the usual full feeling, but he seems to be getting enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: