Talk

Advanced search

making up a nightime bottle?

(3 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Wed 24-Nov-10 16:39:48

how do i do this in advance for 1/2am feed? since last week i've been using the ready mixed cartons but as I only use 60ml i'm finding i waste over a third when i don't use it all within 24 hours

I breastfeed dd before and after the formula so only want to make up 1 nightime bottle of 60ml, but the whole boiling kettle, mixing, cooling thing has me perplexed. how i can do this at 2am!

i've done a search and there seems to be a multitude of methods, but for exclusively ff babies - ie lots of bottles made in advance. i'm using cow and gate infant powder

ps - Introducing formula hasn't effected my supply so far and i decided to do this as i wasn't getting any sleep between feeds. now she'll sleep for about 4 hours and i'm a much happier and saner mum

bamboobutton Wed 24-Nov-10 16:45:51

just before bed i would fill a couple of sterilised bottles with boiled water just under the half way mark (ie. if i wanted a 5oz bottle i would fill it to just over 2oz), take the powder and a kettle into the bedroom and when dd wanted a feed i would boil the kettle and fill to the 5oz mark, add powder and feed immediately.

Mull Wed 24-Nov-10 17:13:09

You can make the bottle in advance. Make up the feed as per the packet instructions (ie, boil water in kettle, let it cool until it is at 70 degrees, pour into bottle, add powder and mix). Then stick the bottle in some cold water to cool it as quickly as possible before putting it in the fridge.

Then, when you need it, you can just warm it in a jug of hot water (I use the microwave but I know that is not the offical advice and will get shot down in flames grin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now